Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A local ad here has a 2005 foreman 500 2 wheel drive( blue One), that looks to be in great shape. Guy says he has only ran 3 tanks of gas through it, and from the looks i believe him. He's asking 3700 and I am pretty sure I can get it for 3200. Its totally stock. Does that sound like a fair deal? I haven;t had a atv since a yamha 80 when I was like 11, (now 30) but I want to start riding again, but don;t want to pay for a new one, and don;t want crap either. Do you think 3200 is somethign I should jump on. thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would get it if I were you if he'll take 3200, you won't get that price used at the stealership. Also you can't get a 500 class machine in 2wd anymore. There was one recal on the 05 foreman so you might want to see if he has ever had that fixed. Cant remember what it was but its posted in a thread somewhere on this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I read about the recall on some other site while trying to see if he was asking a fair price. something about some steering linkage. I will see about that - if not I should still be able to get that fixed at a honda dealer right? I thought the 2 wheel drive 500 was new in 2005, so they stopped making them after one year?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah you should still be able to get it fixed for free at the dealership. I have an 06 2wd but they do not offer it in 07-08. You have to step down to a Rancher for 2wd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So anyone else have idea's. I am probably going to look at it this saturday and go ahead and load it up. By the way I don't have a trailor , will it fit in the back of my 2001 toyota tacoma?

·
Registered
394 Posts
it should fit just fine, probably will have to leave the tailgate down but it'll fit and you also may have to hop the front wheels up on the wheel wells...cuz most probably it will be to wide to fit in between the wheel wells...make sure u strap it down so it dont hit back glass and dont wanna drop out the back of the truck

·
Registered
171 Posts
C1iffburton is right it should fit but may take little manuvering. If you can borrow a trailer it would be much easier though. If it wasn't so far for me to drive I would buy it. I think you'll be happy with it if its been taken care of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I have read, this model has no digital readouts, but it should still have an odometer right? So I should be able to tell the millage. I have't called the guy yet but want to sound like I know what I am talking about. The Yamaha I had way back, had an automatic clutch, you had to change gears but didn;t have to worry about working the clutch. From what I gathered this one uses the same type deal. Do you all know?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are no readouts whatsoever on this model, only a neutral light, oil temp light, reverse light. Doesn't even have an hour meter. But why do you need it really, its an ATV not a car(OK an hour meter and odometer would be nice). But I'll live without it if it means you don't have that odd looking headlight between the steering bars. The less things an ATV has the less you have to replace and fix later. Unless you plan on pushing a plow or serious mudding you don't need 4wd. Everyone I ride with has 4wd and they have never went through anything I couldn't go through. Also you'll never have to replace CV boot. Your getting a great machine for the price. If you want all the bells and wistles your going to have to pay twice as much.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
IMO I would buy a 4x4. You will love the 2x4 but will wish you would have bought a 4x4! For what your going to pay for it for a little more you could get a 4x4 maybe even a new one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe you can still get the '06 500 4X4 for around $4700...going with four wheel drive gives you the option to plow in the winter and play in the mud too. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now what should I do??

Well see now there is another one for sale, check this out

<a href="http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/395632164.html" target="_blank">http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/395632164.html</a>

its in great shape too, 2005 and I am sure I can get it for 3200 also. So now what do you all think, its only a 350 though. Which is the better deal? Which is more dependable/would I get more fun out of. I don't need it for work at all, its just a weekend toy. The 500 might be faster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would try and get it cheaper than $3200.

Russell Honda here in Arkansas was offering the 2006 TRX500TM just a couple of weeks ago, which is the same as what you are looking at, but a year newer for $3999.

I actually bought my 2005 Foreman 500 2wd for $3450 in May of last year -- brand new. I paid tax and all $3657 out the door.

I'm not saying that the bike isn't worth it. The advantage of buying used is to get past the dealer markup and depreciation. I show in my black book listing that trade-in value (Which you might be LUCKY to get if you traded at a dealer) to be $2565. I wouldn't go much over that if it were me.

Good luck in your decision.

DK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Humm

You are making it hard on me, when I first saw the posting on Craig's list i was like "or best offer", so I said 3000. and he said that was alittle low, since it was in almost new shape. The research I did around online had msrp at about 5200 new. So i was thinking 3200 was still fair. But if you got yours new for about 3700 then I don;t know. I would much rather pay the little xtra for a new one. I don;t think I can get one around here in North carolina for that. I know there is no way he will take a grand less than what he is asking for. Maybe I should just check out new prices around here, though we don;t have any honda dealerships that i know of. Just some Polaris place. Maybe if I just wait longer and keep and eye out I can get a better deal. I can get a 2005 400ex for about 3300, i just wanted to start out with something easier to ride since my mom and dad will be riding around on it a little bit also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
in 2006 i bought a brand new 2005 year model trx500tm 2wd for 3750.00 o.t.d.....i would stick to 3000..that is a awesome price and he will probably take it if you are ready to deal with cash..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought this same ATV new for $4034 O.T.D. from Abernathys in Union City Tenn. 2 years ago, Its List price was 5399. I have abused the **** out of it and have only done regular oil changes. It is all power with no bells and whistles. I just did have the valves adjusted this week for the first time and the guy who did the adjustment said it was still pretty close to factory spec. My only complaint is the blue plastic looks like crap after it been a few trails, show scraches real bad. Put a good set of tires on it and go have fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
do a search on honda delars in Tn you can find a new one. if your going to pay 3200 you can get a left over 06 for about 700 more. thats my 2 cents. (southernHo***.Com)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah i didn;t get over there this weekend, but he still has it. I think I will just go abead and see if he will go 3000 cash over the phone before i go look at it-no use in doing the 1 hour drive if he won't deal, even if it is in great shape and all. People post new stuff all the time. Theres a 03 4x4 recon 650 posted over the weekend with only 350 miles 3900 or best over. I didn;t want to spend more that 3200 but maybe he will deal, I rather have a air cooled foreman machine without the fancy transmission. Just less stuff to worry about breaking. I'll let you all know, I will call tonight and see if he will go three and if so I will make the trip out sometime this week after work. Link to the ricon below, looks like a nice bike.

<a href="http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/400711046.html" target="_blank">http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/400711046.html</a>

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you can come up with the extra $900.00 I would get that Rincon, its alot more bike than that 2x4 foreman for the price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.