Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on the trail today and have noticed before that sometimes while in drive my rubicon would sometimes slip back into neutral . But today was different, went down a hill in drove D1 letting the machine use its gears to help wire gas th speed, started hearing a grinding sound. Once at the bottom, I gave it a little gas and it wouldn't go anywhere. Heard just a little grinding, shifted it into neutral. Went to adjust back into drive and that's when I noticed it no longer will shift into drive, low or reverse.
I've only checked the electric power shifter and it's good. Don't wanna break into anything yet unless I have {which I know I'm gonna have to} another note I've never broke into a trans before, so if anyone has any ideas, and can send me to the schematics for it. Will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like it could be a failed Hondamatic which is bad news. I just got done replacing one and it cost almost $2,000 just for parts! Those transmissions are only sold as a unit by Honda so no separate parts are available new. On the first generation Rubicons, there were issues with the oil pump that led to the failures. Maybe not the news you'd like to hear but that has been my experience with this model, otherwise they perform great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it could be a failed Hondamatic which is bad news. I just got done replacing one and it cost almost $2,000 just for parts! Those transmissions are only sold as a unit by Honda so no separate parts are available new. On the first generation Rubicons, there were issues with the oil pump that led to the failures. Maybe not the news you'd like to hear but that has been my experience with this model, otherwise they perform great.
Good thing I have 2 of them. I'm gonna start by checking that oil pump chain this weekend

1 - 3 of 3 Posts