Honda Foreman Forums banner

2003 rubicon loses power, sputters, then hard to start for a few minutes

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  chase123 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500 ATV. It has 2 symptoms that may not be related...
1. (less of a concern): If i start it while in gear it will run vilantly rough. Rough to the point that you cant drive it, it just jerks. Shut it off, place in neutral, restart -> runs fine. It will do this consistently.
2. (this one needs to be resolved) The atv starts and runs fine. I can drive it for a few minutes, but it feels under powered. After driving for a little bit, the power will decrease and the engine will start to stutter... not violently but it begins to miss. If I stop, it will die unless I keep on the throttle. Once it dies, it will have to sit for several minutes before it will start again. Now that it started, i can repeat the same process. The error code i found was 4-throttle sensor system. I disconected the throttle sensor, and both ECM harnesses, cleaned with electrical cleaner, packed with dielectric grease and reconnected. Then I reset the codes, and went through the procedure to resync everything. Took it for a drive and the same symptoms existed. My dealer thought i should check the carb. I took it apart, it looked clean, but i'll blow all the passages and put in a new needle. The Pilot screw opening was 2 3/4 which from my manual seams reasonable.
Ideas?

#2 ·
clean the carb good soak it make sure all the jets a clear and free of crap and clean it again after that

#3 ·
I have a 2003 Honda rubicon that was running great and I was driving in a field and it was running fine and then it started bogging down and eventually shut off and wouldn’t start back up so I thought it was the carburetor and so I ordered a new one to see if it would fix it and I installed it last night and it’s still doing the same thing it sounds like it wants to start but it doesnt Any suggestion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.