Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Foreman 450ES
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2003 honda Foreman 450ES (used), Im having issued with the electronic shift. I took it out for a run, while in 4th gear (about 24-26 mph) all of a sudden it stalled, came to a stop and now it is stuck in 4th gear, cant change from the buttons on the handlebar and cant change from the manual. It flashes that its in 4th gear 3 times. I just changed the angle sensor, same thing, I then took off the shift motor, I did notice that on the gear reduction that one on of the teeth is missing from it. I have the bike broken down somewhat (needs a good cleaning and some other parts need to be replaced, back brake cable, foot brake cable, etc, etc, etc)..Any suggestions? appreciate any advice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sometimes the internal gearing gets " stuck " especially if quad is on a hill or if at a stop while in gear and trying to shift into neutral . This has happened a few times with my quad ( 2000 Honda 350 ).Rocked the quad back and forth until gears release and neutral is found then shifting worked good after that.Did this just by sitting on quad while holding onto to handlebars and " rocking " the quad back and forth.Once and a while have had to shut off the engine but left the key in the On position to watch the shift indicator and rocked the quad back and forth while pressing the shift buttons.This also worked.As far as the Internal Gearing and why it gets stuck especially after riding for a while and the engine is at operating temperature ( shifts good when the engine is cold ) I have replaced the electronic shift motor,the electronic shift sensor as well ( common problem with electronic shift Honda Quads) just to have shift problem re-occur !.It is important that these Honda engines only use Honda GN4 Engine oil for proper lubrication of all internal parts including gears.I have adjusted the base idle to slightly increase engine RPM to maximum Honda specifications of 1500 RPM for my Quad and this has really helped with shifting .

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you cannot shift the gears with the manual, emergency shifter the problem is likely a mechanical one. There are parts that can and do break in the shifting mechanism.
Time to pull the front engine cover off and get in behind the clutches and see what has failed.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Foreman 450ES
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you cannot shift the gears with the manual, emergency shifter the problem is likely a mechanical one. There are parts that can and do break in the shifting mechanism.
Time to pull the front engine cover off and get in behind the clutches and see what has failed.
Thanks.. I ordered a new Shift motor, getting Friday, with a new angle sensor and new shift motor, if that is not it.. ill be pulling off the front cover to see what else went wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also make sure your voltage regulator is putting out proper current and that the battery is in tip-top condition. Both those items were the cause of problems I have had with my 2000 and 2004 450SE machines (of course that was after replacing the angle sensor and shift motor and still having the problem). And yes, definitely, rocking the machine will help it shift...And Oh yeah, I almost forgot the best one yet...do you know about resetting the shift program in the computer??...this one saves my bacon several times a year. So when you get stuck in gear and can't do anything, before breaking out the manual shift lever, try this: 1. Switch ignition off. 2. Switch ignition ON, then Off, then On, then Off, then On again. 3.Shift down to neutral. 4. Then press starter button. I know it sounds crazy, but it works on my machines almost every time it won't shift or lights start flashing, or I see " -- " instead of a gear number. Give it a try! Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Foreman 450ES
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also make sure your voltage regulator is putting out proper current and that the battery is in tip-top condition. Both those items were the cause of problems I have had with my 2000 and 2004 450SE machines (of course that was after replacing the angle sensor and shift motor and still having the problem). And yes, definitely, rocking the machine will help it shift...And Oh yeah, I almost forgot the best one yet...do you know about resetting the shift program in the computer??...this one saves my bacon several times a year. So when you get stuck in gear and can't do anything, before breaking out the manual shift lever, try this: 1. Switch ignition off. 2. Switch ignition ON, then Off, then On, then Off, then On again. 3.Shift down to neutral. 4. Then press starter button. I know it sounds crazy, but it works on my machines almost every time it won't shift or lights start flashing, or I see " -- " instead of a gear number. Give it a try! Good luck!

Tried all of this above, still nothing, since the emergency shift "spins" back and forth, i have a feeling this may be my problem and may take removing the rear panel off of the motor to get to it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts