Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone would know what a knock in the engine would be when you first start the bike. First start the bike and noise there, (sounds like an exaust leak , ratttle , knock). After running at idle for a few minutes nosie comes and goes, then it completly goes. Wont come back again till the bike is shut of for a long period of time and let cool. Also i find the engine a little tickie when running but i hear that normal for them engines. This engine dont sound anything like my 450 honda foreman. Anybody with any idaes would be a big help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine takes a couple of minutes then it fades in and out till it warms up (prob about 1-2 mins). Engine seems to run fine after this, except for small ticking noise which sounds like valves but from what I have read this small ticking noise is normal for those engines. Anyone else with a similar problem and maybe take my worries away....lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't think you should worry about it...Mine goes away in about 10 seconds, on both or my Rincons...However mine never comes and goes, that's weird...I still think it just the oil pump, pumping the oil into the system...You might try using 0-40W...Add and extra 1/8 of a quart of oil above the high mark...And don't screw the dip stick in when you check it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see over 40 readers....does that mean no other rincon's has the rattle when cold (or knock...hard to discribe...heard knocking in car before but nothing like that but a strong rattle for sure). Any replys would be great...ps ty for your input bones.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine runs smoothly.. period.

But it is less than year old, with less than 100 hours on it.

It should not knock. Something is misadjusted... timing, valves or the choke system.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Mine ticks slightly until I touch the throttle and then it immediately goes away. When on the throttle it sometimes sounds like a diesel. Which is normal. If you hear a distinct knocking or ticking sound for extended periods of time I suggest you get the valves adjusted, if that doesn't solve the problem then the cam chain tensioner is shot, it and the cam chain will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE ("mac102004":arvh0xmo)
Mine ticks slightly until I touch the throttle and then it immediately goes away. When on the throttle it sometimes sounds like a diesel. Which is normal. If you hear a distinct knocking or ticking sound for extended periods of time I suggest you get the valves adjusted, if that doesn't solve the problem then the cam chain tensioner is shot, it and the cam chain will need to be replaced.
Mine ticks slightly also, intermittently, when cold... sometimes when warm, just as you say. But not a knock, and no power problems.

I checked my valve settings (pain in the butt I thought), at 20 hours. They were dead on. So this behaviour, as you suggest, is normal.

I agree he should run some checks, including the valves. Maybe timing, maybe choke. Somewhere in the beast, there is an auto-choke system. I buy Honda because I love to ride, not work on machines. Which has always been my experience, whether it is generators, cars, motorcycles... or ATV's.

I've also had good luck with their stock... just bought some more.

·
Registered
142 Posts
me too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine has sort of a "tap" to it when warming up. But it still runs very smooth.

I wonder if its a type of "piston slap" like the GM truck engines have?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Observation from the last couple of days... my "ticking" seems to be going away... slowly.

Yesterday I took it out for a chore (and a ride)... almost no ticking while cold, and none when the beast warmed up.

I've got about 50hours to the next oil change... which will be at 100 hrs. Weather is a bit colder, but this is its second "winter", ... which in these parts are temps down in the 40's overnight. So I'm not sure why the slight change... but it is quieter to the point of not being noticeable unless one pays attention.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Knocking

I have an 05 Rincon that started out with a little know then it would go away. Now it runs for about 4 mins. then it goes away completelty. I spoke with a guy up not that desgines the gear reduction for highlifter and he told me that it was my decompression lever causing it. So the other day i had to replace my oil pump chain and while i had it down i put a fresh set of rings in her. While it was apart i looked at the cam and it appeared that the decompression lever was getting stuck. When i reinstalled every thing i drowned the cam in a really heavy gear oil. The first two or three times i started it there was no noise. The next day when i ran it it started coming back and now it is back to full force. I priced a cam shaft on Ron Ayers and it will cost me around 200.00 with gaskets and all to change it so i will give it a shot. I will post to let everyone know how it works out. If anyone else has a better idea i am all ears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Knocking

I have an 05 Rincon that started out with a little know then it would go away. Now it runs for about 4 mins. then it goes away completelty. I spoke with a guy up not that desgines the gear reduction for highlifter and he told me that it was my decompression lever causing it. So the other day i had to replace my oil pump chain and while i had it down i put a fresh set of rings in her. While it was apart i looked at the cam and it appeared that the decompression lever was getting stuck. When i reinstalled every thing i drowned the cam in a really heavy gear oil. The first two or three times i started it there was no noise. The next day when i ran it it started coming back and now it is back to full force. I priced a cam shaft on Ron Ayers and it will cost me around 200.00 with gaskets and all to change it so i will give it a shot. I will post to let everyone know how it works out. If anyone else has a better idea i am all ears.

·
Registered
142 Posts
mine is strange when I start it up it ticks then if I turn it off and try again it goes away strange might be my oil pump going out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well......I done a valve adjustment job on mine and found that the settings were..... intake at .014 and exhaust at .008....I set them to the book setting at ...intake at .006 and exhaust at .013. Started the bike and bingo....motor was nice and quiet and the knock was gone. I have put approx 100 kms on the bike since and still no knock but have noticed the the ticking is slowly comming back so i checked the valves again and found that the intake setting of .006 was at approx .009 and the exhaust had stayed at the .013. So i adjusted the intakes again to the .006 setting and the noise was gone again. Motor sounded perfect. Put about another 75 kms on the bike and again the ticking is starting to come back. I should note that both times these kms that I put on the bike were "hard , pounding the engine...no mercy kms...lol". My question is ...Does this sound normal for that engine and should I not worry about the valve ticking? Good thing is...I haven't heard that cold engine knock since.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.