Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So basically, when I start the ATV, the gear selection display blinks all three options (D1/D2/ESP) and continues to do so no matter what gear you select. Also where it typically indicates what gear your in ie 1, 2, 3, D, etc is not showing anything. I also noticed that the ATV sputters in reverse and tries to go dead, but works fine in forward, however once I hit about 14 mph going forward it’s revved out and doesn’t shift and won’t go much faster no matter if I’m d1, d2, or esp. I don’t notice any kind of pause in the flashes. It’s just continuous flashing. No pausing, no stopping, and the flash never goes faster or slower. It just started this today, has about 3900 miles on it and only gets used around the farm never deep water or hard mudding.

EDIT: finally figured out how to get it to flash I code. I got 10 flashes then a pause, 10 flashes then a pause. I’m assuming code 10 which to my understanding is a ECM fail safety relay circuit? I don’t know what to do after that?

Reactions: TNRubicon04

·
Registered
34 Posts
So basically, when I start the ATV, the gear selection display blinks all three options (D1/D2/ESP) and continues to do so no matter what gear you select. Also where it typically indicates what gear your in ie 1, 2, 3, D, etc is not showing anything. I also noticed that the ATV sputters in reverse and tries to go dead, but works fine in forward, however once I hit about 14 mph going forward it’s revved out and doesn’t shift and won’t go much faster no matter if I’m d1, d2, or esp. I don’t notice any kind of pause in the flashes. It’s just continuous flashing. No pausing, no stopping, and the flash never goes faster or slower. It just started this today, has about 3900 miles on it and only gets used around the farm never deep water or hard mudding.
Do you know how to retrieve codes? It sounds like a angle sensor they are common to go out;) mine has gone bad on my 04 with 2856 miles

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know how to retrieve codes? It sounds like a angle sensor they are common to go out;) mine has gone bad on my 04 with 2856 miles
finally figured out how to get it to flash I code. I got 10 flashes then a pause, 10 flashes then a pause. I’m assuming code 10 which to my understanding is a ECM fail safety relay circuit? I don’t know what to do after that?

Reactions: TNRubicon04

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Erase the code, run it again, and check for code again.

Here is the troubleshooting for code 10:

I cleared the code Friday night and I even unhooked the battery for awhile after clearing the code. Hooked the battery back up late last night and started it back up and everything was still cleared. I rode it for awhile Friday night in d1/d2/esp/reverse and all of them performed normally and shifted gears normal. No sputters and no odd sounds or odd shifts and no limited speed “limp mode”. I had it out again Saturday as well as this thing usually gets ridden almost every day for chores and same results, 100% normalcy with lots of starts and stops and shut offs and restarts. I guess just continue to ride it and use it as I normally would until it does it again?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2001 Rubicon was doing the same thing just before last winter, all fixed now and it still runs great. Try checking all connectors on the angle sensor and speed sensors, also try unplugging and cleaning the connectors at the EMC. If you get it all cleaned up and still have issue replace the angle sensor, speed sensor, EMC, in that order hoping the angle sensor fixes it first, try one at a time and stop when fixed. If there is any play in the shift lever make sure it is all taken up, by adjusting the connecting rod, if this lever is really sloppy it can sometimes cause the electrical and the mechanical to get out of sync and the brain gets scrambled causing it to go into "safe mode", low rev limiter and the sputter in reverse.

There are some great threads on this page that detail out how to change the sensors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Erase the code, run it again, and check for code again.

Here is the troubleshooting for code 10:

New here...and new to Honda’s. I just picked up a 01 Rubicon 500. The guy I got it from said he replaced the shift motor (and it’s new and shiny looking) and the ecm. It still has a code 11. I can power probethe shift motor and get it to shift, but not with the buttons. I’ve checked all connections, the fuse, and did a reinitialize for the ecm. Is there another test? Could it be the angle or throttle position sensor or am I missing something?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts