Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some insight or previous posts to troubleshoot my issue.

They ATV is a 2002 rubicon 500 with just under 600 miles on it. i spent the weekend riding and put on about 75 miles without one issue. I came home, unloaded the four wheeler and gave my son a few laps around the yard. I pulled it into the back to wash it down with a hose(not pressure washer). After drying it off i started and noticed a few things.

1- D1/D2/ESP all flash and it will not display the gear position or drive mode. L D N R or gears 1-5.
2- It will move forward but feels as though you are trying to start out in 4th gear as the motor seems very loaded and slow to start moving.
3- Trying to move in reverse and the motor will pop, spit and sputter.

It WAS NOT/HAS not been in any deep water and as i said ran perfect up until i hosed it down. I am wondering if it is possible something got wet during the washing process?

any input would be appreciated.

-Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
If there is no pauses in the blink pattern (giving a code) check the fuses and the connectors at the ecm (above tool box).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
it probably got some moisture in the electrical system, being a 2002 with only 600 miles it should be like new... you may want to put some dielectric grease on the electrical connections. it does help. i would park it out in the sun to dry out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check code

Can you run it through a diagnostics and see what error code you get? That may help narrow things down. Some of the items work off resistance so having water in a connector or part would change the resistance of that item and may throw it into limp mode.

1. Turn ignition to off
2. place tranny in nuetral
3. put on parking brake so the quad does not move.
4. Press both shift buttons (up and down), and hold them in, while turning the key to on. Make sure the N appears for gear position. Release the buttons.
5. wait 5 secs,and then press both the switches again.and hold them in for at least 3 seconds, then release the switches.
The codes should flash if there are any.

To delete an old code, do the above and when the code appears, that you want to delete, press the switches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I pulled the angle sensor and cleaned/dried it out. I was able to get it to run normal. It would run/shift as normal but still wouldn’t display L/low range on the screen. I was able to sell it for a good price and replace with a 2019 rancher 420 FA2. Between the power steering, and FI it better suits my needs. My wife enjoys the power steering and I’ll enjoy the fuel injection come winter ice fishing.

·
Registered
17 Posts

They ATV is a 2002 rubicon 500 with just under 600 miles on it. i spent the weekend riding and put on about 75 miles without one issue. I came home, unloaded the four wheeler and gave my son a few laps around the yard. I pulled it into the back to wash it down with a hose(not pressure washer). After drying it off i started and noticed a few things.

1- D1/D2/ESP all flash and it will not display the gear position or drive mode. L D N R or gears 1-5.
2- It will move forward but feels as though you are trying to start out in 4th gear as the motor seems very loaded and slow to start moving.

It WAS NOT/HAS not been in any deep water and as i said ran perfect up until i hosed it down. I am wondering if it is possible something got wet during the washing process?

-Thanks
I was unsure if I should start a new thread or keep this one going. I am having almost the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon. The only difference is my atv will not move. I am including a video of what is going on. I have already replaced the angle sensor. I tried using the procedure above to pull codes but could not retrieve any. I will try going through all the connectors tomorrow and see if that helps.
video https://youtu.be/Pmz86KoEDfk

·
Registered
17 Posts

-Thanks
I was unsure if I should start a new thread or keep this one going. I am having almost the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon. The only difference is my atv will not move. I am including a video of what is going on. I have already replaced the angle sensor. I tried using the procedure above to pull codes but could not retrieve any. I will try going through all the connectors tomorrow and see if that helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon last winter. Mine ended up being a bolt at the bottom of the shift linkage came loose and backed out so the transmission couldn't change gears, I was able to reach in with my hand and manually change gears by fiddling with it. It is a very unique bolt with a large shoulder and a flat Allen head; cost at my dealer for a new one was like $6 or $7. easy & cheap fix. Hope that helps you.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts

Does the motor make any unusual sounds when you try to take off?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon last winter. Mine ended up being a bolt at the bottom of the shift linkage came loose and backed out so the transmission couldn't change gears, I was able to reach in with my hand and manually change gears by fiddling with it. It is a very unique bolt with a large shoulder and a flat Allen head; cost at my dealer for a new one was like $6 or $7. easy & cheap fix. Hope that helps you.
Here is a picture of the linkage and bolt I described above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I would do a oil pressure test. I'm thinking you have more than one problem but I would start with that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I checked the bolt that Forman500Rubicon suggested and it seems tight. I did notice the to I have to rock the machine to get it shifted into some of the gears.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I can post the procedure in the morning but a search should pull up a thread on it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It does not sound good to me, it sounds like it is in safe mode. i bet that the oil pump bypass stuck open and toasted the hondamatic. it is a really low mileage machine but the oil pump bypass is a well know problem on older machines, i replaced the oil pump in my 2001 ruby a few years back just to play it safe. Toodeep is right an oil pressure test is a must. it does not sound good with a bunch of crap in the oil. I would pull the oil tank and split it to check the screen and clean the tank and screen. If i remember right i had to get the right fitting to do an oil pressure test when i was working on my friends ruby, my oil pressure test set had a bunch of fittings but none fit the Ruby. Good luck......

·
Registered
17 Posts
It does not sound good to me, it sounds like it is in safe mode. i bet that the oil pump bypass stuck open and toasted the hondamatic. it is a really low mileage machine but the oil pump bypass is a well know problem on older machines, i replaced the oil pump in my 2001 ruby a few years back just to play it safe. Toodeep is right an oil pressure test is a must. it does not sound good with a bunch of crap in the oil. I would pull the oil tank and split it to check the screen and clean the tank and screen. If i remember right i had to get the right fitting to do an oil pressure test when i was working on my friends ruby, my oil pressure test set had a bunch of fittings but none fit the Ruby. Good luck......
Do you or anyone else know where to get the correct fitting? My pressure tester kit does not have it either.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i do not remember where i got mine from but i did order it on the internet searching for a oil pressure test adapter for a 2003 Rubicon, just make sure your gauge will handle over 160 psi. Honda ruby's have super high oil pressure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts