Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
came across this, figured it might help someone troubleshoot a problem with their atv.

The 2002 and newer ES will flash a code, when the ES system goes inoperative. The older ones dont have the capibility of self diagnoses.
First thing to check is the volage from the battery. It should be 12.4 volts. Check all fuses, main and accesory.
If the gear indicator isnt flashing , you can manually interogate for codes.

1 Turn ignition to off
2 place tranny in nuetral
3 put on parking brake so the quad does not move.
4 Press both shift buttons (up and down), and hold them in, while turning the key to on. Make sure the N appears for gear position. Release the buttons.
5 wait 5 secs,and then press both the switches again.and hold them in for at least 3 seconds, then release the switches.
The codes should flash if there are any.
6 to delete an old code, do the above and when the code appears, that you want to delete, press the switches.

No flashing, no problem.

The rest of the codes point to a system with in the ES. It doesnt necesarily mean the component is bad, but that theres a fault in that circuitry. Could be a disconnected wire, shorted wire, or high resistance in the wiring, or it could be the component. The service manual gives a process of trouble shooting, to nail down where the problem is. Most of the time, its a wiring issue...a stick pulled a connector loose, or water got into a connector.

1 flash, euc (writing and recording circuit) , probable faulty part ECU

2 flashes ES shift switch system (up and down) probable faulty part, shift switch, related wiring harness, or ECU

3 flashes,angle sensor system, probable faulty part, angle sensor, or incorrectly installed,related wiring, or ECU

4 flashes,gear position switch system, probable faulty part,gear position switch or related wiring or ECU

5 flashes,ECU motor driver circuit, probable faulty part,ECU

6 flashes, ECU fail safe relay circuit, probable faulty part,ECU

7 flashes, ECU voltage convent system, probable faulty part, ECU

8 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor, or control motor, or related wiring, or ECU

9 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor(short or open), or related wiring , or ECU

10 flashes, ignition pulse generator system, probable faulty part, ignition pulse generator or related wiring

11 flashes,speed sensor system(vehicle speed), probable faulty part speed sensor or related wiring or ECU

12 flashes, gear position switch system, probable faulty partgear position switch or related wiring, or ECU

·
Registered
350 Posts
Great post!!! I did the test on mine and no flashing!!

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
It resets every time the key switch is cycled. Are your fuses good? Have you checked the shift motor? If those are both good you need to check the wiring and make sure your getting a good ground and power where needed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
came across this, figured it might help someone troubleshoot a problem with their atv.

The 2002 and newer ES will flash a code, when the ES system goes inoperative. The older ones dont have the capibility of self diagnoses.
First thing to check is the volage from the battery. It should be 12.4 volts. Check all fuses, main and accesory.
If the gear indicator isnt flashing , you can manually interogate for codes.

1 Turn ignition to off
2 place tranny in nuetral
3 put on parking brake so the quad does not move.
4 Press both shift buttons (up and down), and hold them in, while turning the key to on. Make sure the N appears for gear position. Release the buttons.
5 wait 5 secs,and then press both the switches again.and hold them in for at least 3 seconds, then release the switches.
The codes should flash if there are any.
6 to delete an old code, do the above and when the code appears, that you want to delete, press the switches.

No flashing, no problem.

The rest of the codes point to a system with in the ES. It doesnt necesarily mean the component is bad, but that theres a fault in that circuitry. Could be a disconnected wire, shorted wire, or high resistance in the wiring, or it could be the component. The service manual gives a process of trouble shooting, to nail down where the problem is. Most of the time, its a wiring issue...a stick pulled a connector loose, or water got into a connector.

1 flash, euc (writing and recording circuit) , probable faulty part ECU

2 flashes ES shift switch system (up and down) probable faulty part, shift switch, related wiring harness, or ECU

3 flashes,angle sensor system, probable faulty part, angle sensor, or incorrectly installed,related wiring, or ECU

4 flashes,gear position switch system, probable faulty part,gear position switch or related wiring or ECU

5 flashes,ECU motor driver circuit, probable faulty part,ECU

6 flashes, ECU fail safe relay circuit, probable faulty part,ECU

7 flashes, ECU voltage convent system, probable faulty part, ECU

8 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor, or control motor, or related wiring, or ECU

9 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor(short or open), or related wiring , or ECU

10 flashes, ignition pulse generator system, probable faulty part, ignition pulse generator or related wiring

11 flashes,speed sensor system(vehicle speed), probable faulty part speed sensor or related wiring or ECU

12 flashes, gear position switch system, probable faulty partgear position switch or related wiring, or ECU
my 02 Honda foreman rubicon when I turn the key on the esp and d1 n d2 flashes and idk what that means and it wont drive and I put a brand new ecu but I messed with the throttle sensor so idk if that be it or what I could use some help thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.