Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2001 rubicon with 6400 miles and 1719 hours. Love the thing and it never let me down till now. It just stopped while hulling a load of wood out, towed to the garage with the rancher and started tearing into it, found the timing chain had come off. Getting ready to order parts to fix.
Question #1, when pulling the front cover to remove the clutch to get to the chain does the rear cover have to be removed also? I watched a YouTube vid of a guy tearing down a engine and it looked like one of the shafts goes all the way through the motor to a gear stack inside the rear cover.
Question #2, the liner so far looks good from the top when rolling the piston down. Was thinking of a aftermarket top end kit while I got it torn down. Or possibly just scuffing up the liner and installing new OEM rings, any input would be appreciated on which way to go and and which aftermarket parts are the best.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its been awhile but If I remember correctly, chain can be replaced with the motor in the frame, no need to remove back cover or pull motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
im pretty sloppy at posting images here but I took these photos when I replaced the chain inside the engine. The chain was under the clutch which I had to pull. My problem was a squeaky overheating engine. There is another chain deeper in the engine that I assume is the timing chain. Gotta pull the engine for that one I guess. Anyway I still have an overheating engine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Manual says you can remove the head and the centrifugal clutch with the engine in the frame. The inner chain is timing. The manual is not specific on replacing the chain but you should be able to get to it. Supposed to have a special puller to yank the clutch. But, according to @MrObone good pics and videos, he used a gear puller. Be careful not to damage or bend it.

In my pic, you can see the chain on the oil pump gear below the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all that responded, ended up pulling the motor, it was way to dirty to do in the frame, should have power washed it before it broke down. Found the cam slack adjuster was broken and the cam chain was worn out. Liner and piston looked good so scuffed it up and installed new OEM rings. Replaced the cam and oil pump chain. Not a bad job had it been clean before I started. Have it back in the frame with oil, exhaust and gas tank left to complete,
Question, does the oil system need to be primed? Or will the oil level be high enough to fill the lube oil pump?
I picked up a puller on amazon for 20 bucks worked as it should, all parts were from rocky mt atv.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts