Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 Honda Rubicon 500 charging issue..........the bike is charging 14.5 with no lights on, but the minute i turn the headslights on low and high beams it stops charging.........but then.......i turn the headlights off and it starts charging right away ........any help would be greatly appreciated as i am very very very far away from a shop or dealer for help?? any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.......not battery is brand new and tested holds load no problem.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 2001 Honda Rubicon 500 charging issue..........the bike is charging 14.5 with no lights on, but the minute i turn the headslights on low and high beams it stops charging.........but then.......i turn the headlights off and it starts charging right away ........any help would be greatly appreciated as i am very very very far away from a shop or dealer for help?? any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.......not battery is brand new and tested holds load no problem.....
Ok have you tried taking the bulbs out and then turning the lights on. if it doesn't affect it during this. I would try putting in one light at a time and seeing if you can get away with one light. Better than zero. You can get super cheap LEDs in the states and just wire new ones. The only other choice is chasing the wires and rewiring them with existing wire. Maybe you will find the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You need to check a few things and find the source of the problem.

FWIW, the test for the charging system is to start the bike and let it warm up. Connect your volt meter to the battery terminals. Turn the high beam on and rev the engine to 5,000 RPM. Verify the charging voltage is less than 15.5 VDC. If it is above this the regulator is bad. If it is under this you need to troubleshoot the charging system.

1. Is the battery good? If it has issues it could easily tax the charging system. Just because it is new does not guarantee it is good.

2. Are the battery connections clean and tightly connected?

3. Verify all ground connections are clean and tight. Bad grounds and wet / dirty connectors cause most electrical system malfunctions on ATVs.

4. Once you verify the wiring is clean and connections are firmly seated you will need to check the charging system components. Pull the connector off the voltage regulator. Was it firmly seated and clean? Check the red wire to ground. You should read battery voltage. Check the green wire to ground. You should read continuity to ground with a very low resistance measurement. Measure the resistance between the yellow terminals. You should read between .1 and 1.0 ohms. If those check OK you need to check them to ground. If any of them measure anything but infinity or open to ground you have a wiring issue or a defective stator.

5. To check the stator, disconnect the alternator connector. On my 2002 it is a white 5 pin connector. Using a VOM measure the resistance between the yellow wire terminals. You should read between .1 and 1.0 ohms. If any of them measure infinity or open the stator is bad. If those check OK you need to check them to ground. If any of them measure anything but infinity or open to ground you need to replace the stator.

6. If the stator checks out good, and your wiring is good, the problem is likely the voltage regulator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts