Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 recon has developed a problem in the rear axle housing. A lot of times when I take off from a stop it feels like the rear brake is sticking even if I don't use the rear brakes it does it and it makes an awful noise. If you do use the rear brake it sticks and if you make tight right hand turn at crawling speed it makes the sound and brake hangs (apparently due to the very small amount of play in the able bearings)

I've loosened both the foot and hand brake adjusters on the rear diff to where they're both inactive and the brake still hangs at random at low speeds (1st gear)

Later this spring when I get time I plan to crake it open and see what's wrong. But Is there a spring in there that could have broke or came loose?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
My 2000 recon has developed a problem in the rear axle housing. A lot of times when I take off from a stop it feels like the rear brake is sticking even if I don't use the rear brakes it does it and it makes an awful noise. If you do use the rear brake it sticks and if you make tight right hand turn at crawling speed it makes the sound and brake hangs (apparently due to the very small amount of play in the able bearings)

I've loosened both the foot and hand brake adjusters on the rear diff to where they're both inactive and the brake still hangs at random at low speeds (1st gear)

Later this spring when I get time I plan to crake it open and see what's wrong. But Is there a spring in there that could have broke or came loose?

Thanks
Brake pad lining could have come off the shoes and be binding things up in there. I would take it apart and check it out asap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'll do that. Will replace the axle bearings while I'm at it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda funny, the problem kinda quit shortly after posting this lol. I still haven't used the rear brakes but I'd say what ever was hanging in there finally broke off. Will be tearing into it soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just had one of mine apart this week, I had good, firm pedal, but almost no braking action. I ordered all of the seals and had them ready, and when I got it apart, both linings had come un-bonded off of the shoes. Also, the cam was seized in the bore, and the dead end of both shoes were seized on their anchor pins. I cleaned it, freed it up, lubed everything sparingly, and was able to get a set of shoes. Works good, now. One un-expected glitch was the seal on the outer end of the dust cover had worn deep grooves in the wear sleeve on the hub. Fortunately, it is a relatively inexpensive wear sleeve, instead of a pricy hub. Unfortunately, the sleeve had to be ordered, so I will have to go in to it once again when the sleeve gets here.
Don't hesitate to dive into this job, it is not that tough. And, it should probably be serviced (cleaned, checked, lubed) a couple of times per year, more if you like riding underwater.

Finn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts