Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am new to the forum. My step son came home from riding his 4-wheeler and it shut off in the driveway. He tried to start it and it cranks but will not turn over. We looked at it, the 4-wheeler was muddy from him riding and we checked the oil and it was bone dry. Not sure how lone he was running on low/no oil. Just wondering if the motor is done, or could there be other issues why it is not starting? Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Probably engine toast. Try checking the compression. Remove spark plug & you can buy or rent a tester from local auto parts or atv store. Write down the reading, if it’s way lower than it should be try squirting a couple shots of oil in the spark plug hole & recheck. It it’s now higher the rings are probably shot. I’m gonna guess it probably turns over somewhat faster than it used to? Low or no compression. They are not too hard to rebuild. Maybe a performance upgrade as aftermarket parts are still available cams, exhaust, carb mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely check the compression. If it's low them you have an issue. That is after you add oil. If it is good, then your good. It should start up with the new oil. It's a good time to ron synthetic at this point. It will keep the oil up on the top end. I would put some mystery oil in the spark plug hole and let it sit for a few days before firing up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts