Honda Foreman Forums banner

2000 Foreman 450 es - When should oil cooler fan come on?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Del 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
I just bought a 2000 450ES from a neighbor of mine - this is my first quad! Have taken it for a couple of short rides and today after a very short ride (200 yards?), as I was pulling it into my RV shelter, I noticed that the red light in the upper, right corner of the dash was starting to glow - the icon is a drop (of oil?) in a motor housing with a thermometer next to it. I'm assuming this is the oil temp warning light. I should have left it running and quickly checked to see if the fan was turning, but instead I turned the motor off and noodled on it for a few minutes. I decided to turn it on and let it idle for a minute. The light didn't come back on, and when I looked at the fan, it was not turning.
So I guess my questions are:
1. Is that indeed the oil temp warning light?
2. When should the fan be turning? Always on? Or is there a thermostat?
3. What are the things to check if I suspect that there is something wrong with the fan? I checked all the fuses yesterday and they were fine.
Thank you in advance for your help!
RK

#2 ·
Don’t know if I can help you much but that light is indeed the oil temp light. Normally it only comes on when starting. If it comes on after riding for awhile then it’s overheating. The fan on mine only comes on after several minutes of riding say 30 minutes or so on a warm day. You will hear it for sure.

#7 ·
What you are looking for will be your oil temperature probe. It will be a sensor directly under the rear of your engine with a single wire running out of it to your right rear frame above the swingarm. To test your fan and light unplug the bullet connector and ground the wire running into the wiring harness it will turn on your fan and light. The sensor has two different levels of resistance as it heats up the first stage will turn on your fan and the second will activate your light. Also check your oil cooler in front of the fan for anything packed inside.

#11 ·
I am having trouble with my 350 Foreman. I was sweeping leaves and the after about 10 minutes the engine suddenly dies. Sometimes it backfires through carb sometimes not. Won't restart because no power. It won't even down shift to neutral. No clicks, no sounds, just plain dead. After setting for an hour or it starts up like nothing wrong for another 10 minutes of running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.