Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to this and I have read a lot of useful information on here, but I have still not yet been able to fix my problem. My 2000 Honda Foreman 450S will turn over but not crank. The kill switch is on. The gas is on. The plug has fire and we did replace it with a new plug just in case the plug itself was bad. I also adjusted the air flow/fuel screw on carburetor just in case that would help it crank. It did not. It was cranking for two days after a while of turning over now it will not crank at all. Just turns over only. Can someone please tell me something else that I may try? I am running out of ideas short of replacing the carburetor. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
How good is the compression?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compression is good. Now I get no fire at all. Just turns over. I need to find out how to test the coil on this thing to see if maybe it is bad. Stator tested good and CDI was replaced not too long ago. Any idea on how to test the coil?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
was the CDI you replaced a OEM< or an aftermarket one?
I have never had any luck with aftermarket CDI"S
last one I tried failed in about 3 weeks or less?
and any chance its jumped time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just replaced the carburetor and put a new handlebar switch on it. Cranked and ran fine for one day. Died, will just turn over again and not crank??? Charged battery back up to 100%, cranked right up! Died again, will not crank back!!! It was an aftermarket CDI that we used to replace the original with. Anyway to test it to see if it is bad? If it has jumped time, it wouldnt crank at all would it? It is like it cranks once a day, and after that its 24 hours before it will crank again. I know this sounds crazy but that has been the way it has done for 2 weeks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
When it refuses to start again, with the filter off spray some carb cleaner into the intake then hold the throttle wide open and see if it fires for a few seconds. If not then I suggest you replace the CDI with an OEM part (even a used OEM one from eBay as long as it's guaranteed tested good).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
!!!

Well found out what my problem(s) were. The rectifier was bad and wasn't keeping the battery charged. Replaced the rectifier and check the fuses again. Obviously when it died on my son and his friend the very last time, they pulled the ignition fuse out and put it back in the wrong spot!!! That is why I stopped getting fire! Put the fuse back where it was suppose to go and after the new rectifier, I have had no other cranking or firing issues. Now I am wondering why my fan isn't kicking on? Is there a way to test the fan to see if it is good and how long does this thing usually need to run before the fan comes on? Sorry for all the questions, I am new to working on 4 wheelers. Oh and one more thing, the rectifier DID test good on the 4 wheeler but we decided to buy another one anyone because the battery wasnt staying charged. After putting the new one on and fuse put back where it was suppose to go, we swapped back to the old rectifier and sure enough the battery was not charging. I guess maybe we did not have the right testing method for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A simple method to check the fan motor & the wiring continuity to it, look next to the rear brake 'pedal' you should see a single wire (blue I believe) a torpedo tube water proof connector. Disconnect this wire & with the ignition on short the harness to ground which will complete the fan circuit & hopefully run the motor. Unfortunately I'm unsure of the temperature range of when to expect the circuit to cut in/out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I am new to this and I have read a lot of useful information on here, but I have still not yet been able to fix my problem. My 2000 Honda Foreman 450S will turn over but not crank. The kill switch is on. The gas is on. The plug has fire and we did replace it with a new plug just in case the plug itself was bad. I also adjusted the air flow/fuel screw on carburetor just in case that would help it crank. It did not. It was cranking for two days after a while of turning over now it will not crank at all. Just turns over only. Can someone please tell me something else that I may try? I am running out of ideas short of replacing the carburetor. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey ik the feeling I charge the top in on my 2002 foreman 450 n It just turn over n one time it back fire two times n nothing else just turn over n it have spark in the plug need help on this

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts