Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 450 ES is stuck in Neutral. No clicking or anything from the shifter buttons, tried the emergency shifter and nothing. Makes a slight grinding noise as I try to shift the emergency shaft up (CW) and it turns with really no resistance in the forward (CCW) direction almost 90* then just stops. Was working fine and then it wasn't. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The grinding noise that you’re hearing when you’re using the emergency shifter is the sound of you turning the reduction gears up on the front shift motor which is normal
Lotta times you need to rock the bike to get it to drop in the gear if the motor is cold
What you can also do sometimes in order to get it to drop in the neutral instead of rocking the bike is to just pull the recoil to turn the motor over while you use the shift button
I had to do that the other day to an ATV that was frozen to the ground in the snow that I could not rock
Let us know what you find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
The grinding noise that you’re hearing when you’re using the emergency shifter is the sound of you turning the reduction gears up on the front shift motor which is normal
Lotta times you need to rock the bike to get it to drop in the gear if the motor is cold
What you can also do sometimes in order to get it to drop in the neutral instead of rocking the bike is to just pull the recoil to turn the motor over while you use the shift button
I had to do that the other day to an ATV that was frozen to the ground in the snow that I could not rock
Let us know what you find out

(it’s not really a grinding that you’re hearing but more of the low whirring sound of the reduction gears back turning the shift
motor
On a sidenote if you remove reduction gears from the shift motor you can shift his machine
using a foot shifter just like a regular foot shift
machine
I have a foot shifter made up with a hexagon hole and a set screw tightens it right to the hex shaft
It’s probably not good for the long term to do this but it’s better than the emergency shift tool for a 25 mile ride out of the woods

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a hard failure, broken pawl in the transmission. Also had the shift position sensor replaced while they were in there just prevent any future issues with that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I realized just now that you were stuck in neutral I was thinking that you could not get the bike into neutral
Thank you for the update as it is quite helpful for members who are having a same problem
Broken shift pawl or shift plate is a common failure on these models as well
Glad you got it running

1 - 6 of 6 Posts