Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Foreman just turned 100 miles with 11 hours...time to put it in the shop I guess. I called our local Honda dealer and they told me it's a 3 hour job @ $74 and hour! 220 bucks just for the labor, not including any parts. Doesn't that sound sort of steep? Does it really take 3 hours on the new Foreman's? Just thought I'd ask before I paid too much. Thanks for your input.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
well what are they gonna do because u may need a valve adjustment and thats what is making it cost so much.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
do you really think he needs a valve adj after only 11 hrs?

·
Registered
743 Posts
No vavle adjustment yet. My dealer told $140 bucks. Included oil change.diffs changed brakes adjusted, and evenry bolt and nut checked for proper torque. If you belive that they are going to tighten everynut and bolt. I told them no way. Did it myself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree...However, Honda recommends a valve adjustment at 100 miles or 10 hours, whichever comes first (Which I'm sure you know). The service department at our Honda dealer did say that the 3 hours of labor was due to the valve adjustment. I can change the fluids myself but won't go near the valves! The reason I'm thinking about having the valves done is because of the extended warranty. If you do not have that recommended service completed and something eventually goes wrong...what happens to your warranty coverage?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
QUOTE ("FloridaWheeler":2h3ctls0)
If you do not have that recommended service completed and something eventually goes wrong...what happens to your warranty coverage?
This is a good question, anyone know? I know im not going to be bringing mine in for a valve adjustment. Do you have to show some kind of proof you got it done?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I did mine at home, as long as you document everything, and keep any reciepts, that will be proof enough. The dealers claim to check the valves but mine said they only check if there is noise, and checking the bolt on the entire machine like they claim, mine had a little mark on each bolt and they only check if the marks are missing or they don't match up. So I would say, if you do everything else yourself then do the service too, because for what they do even 100 bucks is to much, but that is just my 2 cents. Good luck with the new bikes

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harry,
You hate to think dealers would charge so much for doin' nothing but everyone knows it happens everyday. I guess my biggest concern is the warranty...I'd much rather do everything myself as well but if a dealer isn't going to cover something a little more expensive simply because I didn't have it serviced as recommended...then I almost think it's worth the money. My brother in-law purchased a new 2000 Rancher from a dealer in Daytona. He took it in for a valve adjustment @ 100 miles. The service department let him stand right next to them as they serviced his bike. Now, that's probably partly due to the fact that he bought the bike from them. To this day...that is the only time that his Rancher has been put in the shop. One valve adjustment and he's been good to go for the last 5 years! Another reason why I would consider it a smart move to have them adjusted but I'm a rookie when it comes to stuff like this. Most people on this site are more knowledgeable than I am therefore I'd rather get everyone's opinion. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
QUOTE ("Robb":23a5crcq)
QUOTE ("FloridaWheeler":23a5crcq)
If you do not have that recommended service completed and something eventually goes wrong...what happens to your warranty coverage?
This is a good question, anyone know? I know im not going to be bringing mine in for a valve adjustment. Do you have to show some kind of proof you got it done?[/quote]

Well they say just keep all the recepts but there only gonna give you **** if it looks like a bad situation like somehting you did to break the motor.

And if your a rookie at the valves i sugest to bring it to them or find out if any of your buddys know how and they should help ya. Its not to hard and the servicing says to inspect the valves not adjust them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
first service

I work in a shop. I've heard all the angles regarding first service too. 1st service is critical. Usually there is a valve lash inspection (with adjustment if neccessary) and an oil (and filter) change. The shop rate is shop rate, expect to pay for the time if they do it according to specs. My shop is an exception, we include it in the purchase price on atvs intentionally so there are no warranty issues. If you get it for a discount, you may want to make sure it was actually done. Anyone who says you can hear if needs an adjustment is BSing (or doesn't have a clue) !! Sure if you hear it , it needs an adjustment, but valves usually tighten up as they wear into the seats so it's not a good indicator for adjustment intervals. Break in oil has special additives and a usually metal/fiber particles from wear-in and initial clutch plate wear. Get it out of there at interval indicated is definately in your best interest. If you do not know how to do it yourself, get a shop to do it to protect your warranty. When you just spent 5-10 grand on the unit and scrimp on a $200 inspection, it doesn't make any economic sense IMO. BTW you can do it yourself, it won't effect warranty coverage unless you screw something up, and I'd have a paper trail (receipts) for the parts to prove you did the expected items. Honda sells something like 9 million motorcycles worldwide in a year. They see alot of things, good, bad and otherwise with that many units and see customers try to slide some very peculiar stuff through on warranty I'm sure. So long as you're doing what's expected of the owner (readyour manual), they could care less who did it so long as it is done.

All that said and done, alot of Hondas go many many years with next to no maitenance, I think it says more about how good the item originally is from the factory than a rule to ignore suggested intervals for service.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First service

I agree that First service ( done at the dealer) is important no matter what the cost. I am plenty capable of doing any work on my bike myself but for the 20hr and 100hr service it goes to the dealer. There are things that can be seen by the dealer or caught ahead of time if you take it to them because they see there product all the time,and because the 05 foreman is all new this year there is going to be some small problems that you might not pick-up on. I think the money investment is worth it.
If you are going to service it yourself get the Service manual from Honda,
it has excellent photos and instructions, in the back of the owners manual is the part number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts