Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently got a 450es with 645 miles and 180 hours. Its in showroom condition. Problem is i can shift into first and reverse when still motor off but not 2nd or higher or out of reverse or back into neutral from first. I can manually shift all gears though and they display of i start off doing that. I hear the motor trying to shift along with a beeping sound. Weak shift motor?? Or angle sensor? It is a beautiful machine. Still has all the paint marks on the nuts and stuff. So from first it wont go back into neutral or from reverse back into neutral. Sometimes it will. Also will not go higher then first. It shows a line if I shift from first like it didn't fully turn it far enough to hit second. Like i said i can manually change the gears just fine. By fine i mean it takes some effort and its not like butter but it shifts up and down. Any thaughts are appreciated

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
I would start with the angle sensor. It's a common part that isn't that expensive. Use oem, not the aftermarket junk. The angle sensor tells the computer how long to activate the shift motor. If it gives the wrong signal it cant complete a shift.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this post is a little old but I will tell you what I found on my used 1999 450es and hope it helps others. When I bought mine about a little over a year ago it had real shift issues and the guy had changed the shift motor. Like all used equipment I acquire I changed the oil,and oil & air filter, spark plug, added a good quality carburetor cleaner to the gas to make sure the bike run smooth. The machine still had shift issues so I adjusted the clutch and the bike finally started to shift better when I turned the Idle down closer to where it should be. I guy had the Idle turned up too high probably to keep it running. I notice it shifts well when the idle is low and even the choke still being on can make it run too fast. Make sure your bike is running smooth and the Idle is down before changing a lot of expensive parts. And back off the throttle when shifting. Hope this helps some save time and money. Parts and the Honda shop is expensive!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts