Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that has 95 foreman that is not shifting. It goes from first to nuteral to reverse however thats it, will not go past first. I pulled the cover thinking I would be able to obviously spot the problem however it appears that the shift fork and shift plate are ok, (no breaks or cracks).

What else can I do to determine what is wrong with this? What should I check next?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
113 Posts
Put some locktite on the threads. The first time I just torqued it and it came loose again. We've had it happen to all 3 of our 400's.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Correct Hondo, loctite is required on that. Glad that is the cheap easy fix baytown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would the same thing be happening to my 2001? I read some where that all you need to do to get to the front cover is raise that fourwheeler up on its rear wheels, take the front wheels and inner fenders off and you can get to the front cover. A local mechanic said it was the needle bearings at the rear of the shaft (behind bolt #28) that was the problem. He said that if you could use a wrench (10 MM) and run through all the gears that the bearing was out. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes the 01 is the same set up and that could possibly be giving you problems but it could also be the shift plate (12) as they are pretty common also. Again yes on tipping the machine on its rear rack and removing the front cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
where is this front cover? I am having some trans issues and wanna check the small stuff first....

I only have 1st and 2nd gear

98?? 450

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Check the bolt (28) to make sure it didn't come loose.

Honda Powersports' 1995 Honda ATV TRX400FW FOURTRAX FOREMAN 4X4 Parts List
I have a similar problem except will not shift out of reverse, no warning just was in reverse then went to shift in other gears and no go.
Do you think this is the same problem.

what is part 28 the link does not really show that part is it - # 28 BOLT, FLANGE (6X20) for the GEARSHIFT DRUM found this one on the following link.

Honda Powersports' 1997 Honda ATV TRX400FW FOREMAN 4X4 Parts List

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts