Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping someone may be able to help me out. I purchased a 1989 Foreman from the original owner and I'm quite impressed with the old girl, however it has developed an extremely frustrating issue. I use it to plow and after about 15 minutes of hard use the neutral and reverse lights start to flicker and within a couple minutes they go completely out. This didn't bother me terribly except for the fact that when this happens the ignition switch seems to lose power and the start button don't work. I kickstart it and it fires right up. So after the wheeler sits and cools down the neutral and reverse lights work again as does the ignition switch and start button. When this happens everything else on the wheeler (all lights fuel gauge etc.) Continue to function normally. It's a very frustrating problem because I can't shut the wheeler off during use when this happens otherwise I have to use the kickstart to get it fired up again. Also very irritating because once it sits for a few the problem fixes itself, like a tooth that doesnt ache when you go to the dentist. Please if anyone out there has experienced this or has an idea, I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks, Austin

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just speculation, but the ignition switch has a couple different leads for 12v, I believe. You may be losing one of those intermittently. The ignition switch connects to the harness on the upper right frame rail behind the CDI. I'd use a multimeter to check the voltage on those leads while it's operating normally, then again when it craps out.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Check the ignition switch, the connections to the CDI and coil.

Also check your grounds.

I've seen CDI's that stop working when they get hot, then work again when they cool off. Next time it happens try lightly tapping on the CDI with a screwdriver handle or similar and see if it does anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts