Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 87 350 with a litany of problems.
over a year ago I started having some problems with how it ran, and I made the mistake of replacing the carb with an aftermarket POS. I want to throw that in the garbage and rebuild the original carb. Any suggestions of where to source a kit I can manage?
This old machine has some other problems:
The original fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner with a universal generic pump, and the ignition switch was replaced by a toggle switch. It seemed to work ok when I got it, but could this be related to performance issues I was having? What should I do to remedy?
Also the strangest problem I was having:
It would start and run, but would occasionally do something very strange. At seemingly random occurrances, it would stop running. If i shifted into neutral in time, it would stay running, but die immediately if I put it in gear. Put in in N and will start but die if I put in gear. will be that way for 20 seconds to 2 minutes, then all of a sudden work fine. WTH is with this? I dont know what direction to even investigate with this.... Talked to a couple of atv mechanics and they dont know either..
any help would be appreciated

W_C

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I've had good luck with the Shindy carb kits. Depending on how bad the OE carb was you'll probably have to soak it in carb cleaner, ultra sonic cleaner or something.

The fuel pump might cause issues. Usually a low pressure electric pump will work though. Some people switch them to vacuum pumps but I keep mine with the OEM pump. I think there are even aftermarket OEM looking pumps out there.

Your CDI is going bad. I had one do the exact same thing and rode it for years with the neutral light wire grounded out (would start in any gear). Parts are getting harder to find for these so I would get one just to have on hand or save the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
toodeep
thank you!
I see CBIs on ebay, would it be better to get authentic Honda for more $ or would unbranded be sufficient?

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I've only used Ricks aftermarket CDIs and I don't think they make it for the Foreman. Make sure you get one for the Foreman (D) and not the 87 Fourtrax because they don't interchange. They are very model/year specific on that part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you again, that was exactly the type of info I needed. The parts are on the way! I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm confused. Is it a D or a Fourtrax?

Another problem spot for fuel is the rollover switch that cuts off fuel. Best to bypass it, there's info here on the forum. Going to do that on my 87 350D.

Make sure you don't have rust coming out of the tank with the fuel. Have cleaned my carb four times in an hour of run time, how it gets through two filters, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
Yeah the 86 and 87 350 Fourtrax use a different CDI than the 87 350D Foreman.

The 87 350D is a one year only oddball CDI

Wampus, is your 350 an A or a D (look at the sticker on the front of the frame behind the front bumper)

New OEM CDI's are still available from Honda. Not cheap, but they're available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry but I don't get it for sure.... Is it a D or no? I may have ordered the wrong part. I remember the registration saying at one point that it is a 1987 Honda fourtrax foreman 4x4.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@toodeep
pardon my stupidity, but how do I tell if I have a 350A or 350D. From what I can tell you are correct about it being a fourtrax, not so much a foreman. IDK which motor goes to which model.
I already ordered a CDI that says is for a "fourtrax foreman trx350D"
30410-HA7-751

supposedly authentic honda
I need to know if I need to get a different one and try to return this one, as I'm hoping to use the quad in a week.
Thank you for your help
W_C
p.s. I ordered the wrong one didnt I?

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
The year/model sticker is on the front of the machine about half covered by the lower plastic fan screen/deflector. It will say TRX350 or TRX350D on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks like it's not a D, judging by the sticker. Checked mine the other day but it's either gone or painted over.

I don't think the CDI you ordered will work.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I forgot about the pic, my phone takes me to the last post made. The cdi you ordered will not work because it's for the foreman (D). You need 30410-HA7-672.

Useless info. Terrance purchased that machine on 4/23/1987.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see now its the incorrect one, got it today but I'll see if I can return it. Ordered an off brand one that will be here by friday. Got the carb kit today, which doesn't look terribly complicated. Just a bit of work and a new battery and I should be in business!

Thanks guys (and gals?)

I'll post an update sometime

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
Return the off brand one and get an OEM module.

The aftermarket CDI's are garbage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shot out to all of you that helped me with this. Sorry for the delay, I’ve been super swamped busy with work and life. The ol Honda ran like a champ through hunting season! It was great for once. It however didn’t make it through ice fishing, but that’s for another thread...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts