Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the location and color of the wires for the 4 pin connector on the CDI.

I purchased this bike with NO SPARK and noticed someone has redone the terminals and could of easily switched the locations in that 4 pin jack. Only 3 of them are used.
Black/yellow, Green/white, and Blue/yellow

Thanks a million for any help- I just ordered my new CDI today and hoping that this will fix it.

I have done all the tests that the service manual has told me to do and come up with a bad CDI or wired wrong or I missed something..

Not getting enough Volts at the coil (only getting 12v- I compared with my 200 and should be up near 60+ volts I think)

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toodeep- you are very kind- that is the best description that I ever expected. THANK YOU>
Took me some time (here at work) to get to view the pics but they are GREAT....
AGAIN THANK YOU..

Just a fast look I think my wires are the same- but I was hoping to see that someone mixed mine up- I will let you all know-.

I will be going out of town for few days so get back to ya next week.

SERIOULSY- THANK YOU VERY MUCH

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
That's why I'm here, to help others. Your very welcome and let us know if the new CDI works or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I put the wires in the correct location as per TOODEEP Diagram (Thanks Again). And NO Luck NO SPARK..

I am hoping that since someone who owned before me put them in wrong that maybe that cooked the old CDI? I will find out later this week when my new CDI arrives.

In the meantime can you do me another favor.

If you unplug the jacks on the CDI can you measure the voltage at each pin, with key on and pushing start button. I realize that some may not even have voltage and just used to connect circuits.

IF I can dbl. check my feeds to the CDI I will be sure I am good up to that.

I know means a little bit of testing and unplugging your CDI- but It will give me some reassurance that I am on the right track- AND don't want to damage the new CDI..

Thanks again for hanging in there and helping me so far.

I really want to get her going - so I can start cleaning her up and have a nice 4x4 for the boys.

Chris

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I actually don't have a machine here to test, those pics was from a while ago when someone else needed them. The kill switch on the left handle bar is a good thing to go wrong with these machines, I have deleted many of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IT HAS SPARK NOW!!!!!

Well I had another forum member send me pictures of the wires that go into the CDI- I had 2 in the wrong place (done by previous owner).

My new CDI came in and I was leary about trying it - thinking it would not work and I missed something - WELL it Sparked with new CDI. (the exact part number replacement).

Does she run? Don't know yet - I went to screw in plug and the previous owner messed up the plug threads so it would only go in half way. Purchased an M12x1.25 Tap yesterday and cleaned it out and plug goes in fine and is tight- Now I have to put head back on and see if she runs.
(I took the head cover and head off so that I could work on the bench and not get anything into the cylinder, and also clean things up a little and inspect the cylinder.

I will put on a temp fuel tank (gravity fed) and hope that she runs.

Thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me the location and color of the wires for the 4 pin connector on the CDI.

I purchased this bike with NO SPARK and noticed someone has redone the terminals and could of easily switched the locations in that 4 pin jack. Only 3 of them are used.
Black/yellow, Green/white, and Blue/yellow

Thanks a million for any help- I just ordered my new CDI today and hoping that this will fix it.

I have done all the tests that the service manual has told me to do and come up with a bad CDI or wired wrong or I missed something..

Not getting enough Volts at the coil (only getting 12v- I compared with my 200 and should be up near 60+ volts I think)

Chris
IT HAS SPARK NOW!!!!!

Well I had another forum member send me pictures of the wires that go into the CDI- I had 2 in the wrong place (done by previous owner).

My new CDI came in and I was leary about trying it - thinking it would not work and I missed something - WELL it Sparked with new CDI. (the exact part number replacement).

Does she run? Don't know yet - I went to screw in plug and the previous owner messed up the plug threads so it would only go in half way. Purchased an M12x1.25 Tap yesterday and cleaned it out and plug goes in fine and is tight- Now I have to put head back on and see if she runs.
(I took the head cover and head off so that I could work on the bench and not get anything into the cylinder, and also clean things up a little and inspect the cylinder.

I will put on a temp fuel tank (gravity fed) and hope that she runs.

Thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted.
Do

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you happen to have or remember the color codes on the 87 TRX350d I need to know if I got them right or not I just blew up the CDI box that was for it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts