Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a four wheeler for a friend. It is a 1985 honda fourtrax 250. It has sat for about a decade. I know it has spark and it has compression. After cleaning the carb it still didn't start. It was then that I realized the fuel tank had a big leak. I took the tank off and positioned it so that it wouldn't leak. I then opened the carb full throttle and sprayed in some starting fluid. I tried to start it and it still wouldnt start.(starter is bad so ive been using the kick start) What should I do now?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
is it good spark? If it has compression n spark it will fire with starting fluid. try pouring fresh gas down the spark plug hole and try it again.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
If you tried to start it and it would fire with starter fluid you either have no spark or no compression.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K guys I got myself some more time and good news, my brother was looking around and he attempted to start it and even though the fuel tank was not installed i think it had some gas in the chamber. When he kicked it over it sputtered for a second and ran out of gas so it must have been majorly flooded when it was given to me(or i might have flooded it but i doubt it).

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
or maybe the fact the fuel in the tank is bad , is the inside tank CLEAN?? as if NOT cleaning a carb is a waste of energy and time, as , running a dirty tank will make you a dirty carb all over again!

as they say you need to work upstream before fixing things down stream
clean tank, peacock, fuel line, THEN clean carb
then refill with new fresh fuel
this solves 99% of issues most times!
skipping any step and you can well, have other issue's
Out of time, bad CDI, or???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has spark, but the spark plug always comes out dry. Ill try to start it with choke but it only slides over half way. I need to adjust the choke correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts