Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody care to share their favorite spot on the harness to obtain +12V switched with the key ?

I am going to run a small relay so it won't be a large power draw.

Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i personally do not like to splice into the wiring harness if i can help it, just another spot to let corrosion in. i run separate fused wires from battery zip tied to the frame or other wires. but lots of people splice into the power wire from the keyed ignition switch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does running a wire from the battery get you power that is switched with the key ?

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Pink wire on ignition switch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response.

I found the pink lead running down from the switch and pulled the harness insulator back to expose it. I removed a 1/4" piece of insulation, soldered my wire to it, wrapped it with sealing tape and then slid the harness insulator back down over the joint. I think it should remain pretty well protected and free from corrosion like that.

Reactions: jeepwm69

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try running it through the fuse box. Everything in there is run through the key. Take a voltage tester and find a power source.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run these on both of my motorcycles. I've used them for years. Ran right to the battery terminals. Always work and never cause any draw. Can be installed in 15 minutes. No splicing, no relay, no solder, no drama.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run these on both of my motorcycles. I've used them for years. Ran right to the battery terminals. Always work and never cause any draw. Can be installed in 15 minutes. No splicing, no relay, no solder, no drama.
1 Can you point me to a similar product today as the old url is long gone?
2 As I am looking to connect a Warn winch rocker switch to the direct wired product you recommended, thge Warn rocker switch has a single wire that needs to be connected, and so I'm a bit confused as all I can find are USB ported harnesses when I follow your link. Was the unit yuo recommended indeed a USB ended wiring unit? How would this hook to a single Warn rocker switch wire? Clearly I am missing something.

Excuse the newbie question. I have zero wiring knowledge and you recommendation fit my sensibilities and experience level.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts