Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edit: problem fixed with new angle sensor.

With key ON and/or engine running, the ESP D1D2 flashes 5 times, pauses, stays solid for a second, then dissappears for a second, then repeats the cycle with 5 flashes. I tried a battery disconnect and it continues.

I am not performing the CODE retrieval steps in Honda Mechanic's 24 page pdf file. Per the last sentence of pg 17 of the pdf, I'm supposed to follow diagnostics for codes 3 and 7 since its blinking before following the retreival steps. Am I reading this sentence correctly?

If so, can someone tell me what those steps are? I am going to look at the wiring harness related to the code 3 and 7 to see if I see anything is loose or otherwise out of the ordinary. What else should I do?

FWIW here's the details of what happened:

1. The machine is brand new out of the box, just got it today. I checked the oil after running it 3 minutes. Oil level was full, but I did notice it registered higher than the indented dipstick mark but didnt seem ridiculously overloaded. Level is the same as my buddy's rubi with 500 miles on it.

2. I rode it 1 hour on very mild trails, never going over 11 mph, and not doing anything stupid like shifting between modes while moving. I worked D1 and D2 during this hour, but only shifted when stopped and in nuetral. Never had a chance to use ESP mode or activate 4x4. I didnt detect any problems, it ran great.

3. I came to a dead end and stopped. Shifted the lever from D to N then to R and backed up 5 ft. I noticed it sputtered ever so slightly and I felt an ever so faint skipping sensation. So I shifted to N to D and drove forward 5 ft to repeat. I then noticed the display no longer showed D2 on the screen, but showed ESP D1D2 all at the same time and blinking. I shifted to N to R and backed up and thats when it sputtered hard and came to a halt and the engine died.

4. I cried

5. I drove it 300 ft back to the truck, stopping along the way to try D1, D2, ESP, and 4x4. Nothing helped. The display never changed from the blinking ESP D1D2.

6. During this 300 ft it never came out of "1st gear". No matter what mode it will not "shift gears". Now matter how fast you go, the tranny isnt "shifting". So I just limped it back at 5 mph. I never tried R again as I am afraid thats what caused this whole nightmare. I checked the oil and coolant and all okay. I looked for obvious obstructions, gouge marks, etc and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well first of all Unhook the battery and leave it for a while. Check your fuses and all the connections you can access easily. This is the things you can do without the hassel of returning it to the shop. When you check out the conections, Put dielectric grease inside them to prevent further complications. Although I do not know what Code five Represents. I am sure that your problem won't be a big deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 59,

I did the battery disconnect and the blinking continues. I edited my post to be more CODE informative. I am not sure it is really throwing code 5 since its blinking without initiating the retrieval steps.

I appreciate the encouragement, I need all the re-assuring I can get

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You just cycle the key on & off to re-set the ESP ..

The tests for code #5 (angle sensor - control motor lock) starts on pg 20 in the 2005-06 TRX500FGA shop manual your using the older 01-03 manual (I can't remember if all the tests are the same or not)

Have you removed the shift control motor and tested it ..?

What's your email address and I'll email you the 05-06 Hondamatic ..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bless you! I am at [email protected]

I dont have a shop manual, just owners manual. I dont know how to remove and test the shift control motor.

I tried erasing the code per page 18 but it didnt work....I think because everything is blinking immediately upon turning the key ON (actually it takes 1-2 seconds then starts). Thanks,

Tall

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It must be a code 3 or 7 (per the pdf file) because the N stays on when you try to retrieve the codes.

3=ECM or gear pos switch (I am assuming the tiny blue switch just below the gear lever housing)

7=ECM or shift switch (not sure where that is at)

All connections look good. Its 1 hour old so Im positive none of them are jarred loose or not making contact.

I am taking to dealer in 30 minutes. Is there anything special I should tell the mechanic?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tell him to fix it NOW!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also had code 5 errors, replace 3 angle sensors then I finally got a code 11 and blew the 30 amp control motor fuse. Replace the control motor and bike works good again. Had the angle sensors tested by another dealer, (not my local)and they tested good. So from my experiance might not just be the angle sensor. My 2 cents

·
Registered
140 Posts
my 06 rancher does the same thing and shop i took it to cant figure it out
mine will get stuck in 3rd gear. tested angle sensor and shift motor , die electric grease on everthing still no go . mine only hes 246 miles on it any suggestions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i get code 10 almost every time i ride but in the manual it says to turn the key on and off and if it doesn't show up it was a error. but it just does it for no reason ... any ideas. everything is die electric greased.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: '07 Rubi, 1 hour old, Tranny down, throws CODES-(now fix

QUOTE ("Tall Pine":upzbw53k)
edit: problem fixed with new angle sensor.

With key ON and/or engine running, the ESP D1D2 flashes 5 times, pauses, stays solid for a second, then dissappears for a second, then repeats the cycle with 5 flashes. I tried a battery disconnect and it continues.

I am not performing the CODE retrieval steps in Honda Mechanic's 24 page pdf file. Per the last sentence of pg 17 of the pdf, I'm supposed to follow diagnostics for codes 3 and 7 since its blinking before following the retreival steps. Am I reading this sentence correctly?

If so, can someone tell me what those steps are? I am going to look at the wiring harness related to the code 3 and 7 to see if I see anything is loose or otherwise out of the ordinary. What else should I do?

FWIW here's the details of what happened:

1. The machine is brand new out of the box, just got it today. I checked the oil after running it 3 minutes. Oil level was full, but I did notice it registered higher than the indented dipstick mark but didnt seem ridiculously overloaded. Level is the same as my buddy's rubi with 500 miles on it.

2. I rode it 1 hour on very mild trails, never going over 11 mph, and not doing anything stupid like shifting between modes while moving. I worked D1 and D2 during this hour, but only shifted when stopped and in nuetral. Never had a chance to use ESP mode or activate 4x4. I didnt detect any problems, it ran great.

3. I came to a dead end and stopped. Shifted the lever from D to N then to R and backed up 5 ft. I noticed it sputtered ever so slightly and I felt an ever so faint skipping sensation. So I shifted to N to D and drove forward 5 ft to repeat. I then noticed the display no longer showed D2 on the screen, but showed ESP D1D2 all at the same time and blinking. I shifted to N to R and backed up and thats when it sputtered hard and came to a halt and the engine died.

4. I cried

5. I drove it 300 ft back to the truck, stopping along the way to try D1, D2, ESP, and 4x4. Nothing helped. The display never changed from the blinking ESP D1D2.

6. During this 300 ft it never came out of "1st gear". No matter what mode it will not "shift gears". Now matter how fast you go, the tranny isnt "shifting". So I just limped it back at 5 mph. I never tried R again as I am afraid thats what caused this whole nightmare. I checked the oil and coolant and all okay. I looked for obvious obstructions, gouge marks, etc and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

Man all of these steps happen to me today well except #4 lol . Is there a solution with out going to the dealer , it has 1075km's an it and 3 months old. Can anyone help with this , thanx in advance

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE ("rubidubi":lzp944vk)
does anyone know if its safe to go riding , its not doing it anymore .
You will be fine. I had my new 07 rubi do the same thing although mine would go fine in any forward gear but in reverse it would limp and spudder. I disconnected the battery let it sit 5 minutes and hooked it back up (WHICH IS A PAIN because the battery bolt isn't long enough to hit the nut that sits in the battery terminal). I haven't had a problem since then. It was also -15 outside when I had mine do it. Had it out last night -10 outside and it worked like a champ.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.