Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, new to the forum here. I have been scratching my head on this for the past few weeks. My son was riding and it suddenly died out. I got it home and went through a lot of different things. The person I got the quad from said it was rebuilt by his buddy. (kids SMH) So, I thought it might be a fuel related issue. At this point, I pulled the carb, cleaned it thoroughly, pulled the fuel tank and did the same to it (drained and so on). Put it all back together, still nothing. Then, I checked for spark. Plug was sparking blue, but just for giggles, I changed the plug for good measure. Still nothing. I decided to replace the carb thinking that might be it, still nothing. Finally, I decided to check the timing. I opened the view port on the right rear of the engine and lined up the "T" in the window. When I did that, The exhaust valve was open. (something definitely wrong here) Then, I took the front clutch cover off the motor to inspect the timing chain. It appeared to be worn as the tensioner was almost all the way out. So I ordered a new timing chain and replaced that while I was in there. I got the cam timing set perfectly at TDC and lined it up with the marks on the cam gear and the arrow on the case at the top. Issue seems to be that the "T" still is not lined up correctly on the flywheel in the view port hole? My question is this, if the flywheel sheared the key, could that cause the engine timing to be off somehow? I've experienced this on other engines before in the past, but they were smaller engines. I am waiting for a puller kit to remove the flywheel and inspect the key. Just wondering how much further I'll have to go with this thing...

Ask any questions, I'll gladly answer them if I haven't already above. Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jeepwm69 for your reply! Am I correct in thinking that if the key sheared that it would not run? Like it messed up the timing?

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
Yeah if it shears the flywheel will spin on the crank, and your T won't show up at TDC.

It's rare, but it does happen occasionally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my tool and turns out the key sheared off on the flywheel! Not sure what caused that to happen, but it did...

All the timing marks line up and everything turns freely. I am glad that I took it apart as far as I did, there was so much messed up stuff from the smart guy that took it apart before. At least now everything is back together correctly and shouldn't have any leaks!

I've got everything back together now, just have to fill it with oil and hopefully all should be good!!

Thank you for your input on this! I hope this info can help someone else in the future...(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as an update, I did get her to fire up and run like a top!! Seems that the issue was the flywheel key. Not completely sure as to how that happened, but it did. Everything is good to go now! I've replaced several things on my machine thus far. (carburetor, rocker arms, fuel line, gaskets, fuel, oil, flywheel key, timing chain, zip ties [ha ha])

1 - 7 of 7 Posts