Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda Foreman TRX500

Ran fine and suddenly after a stop, won't drive when in any gear. Gear seems to work since R and D show on dash as well as in ESP, the dash show that it goes into gear.
The front and rear drive shaft out the engine/transmission moves a tiny bit when you put it into gear or reverse and then stops.

What could this be? If the gears display on the dash, does it sense that it is in gear inside the transmission?

·
Premium Member
6,247 Posts
Hmmmm. So it won't pull in 4wd either?

The gear position switch is turned by the end of the shift drum in the transmission.

Is it a Foreman ES or a Rubicon with auto and ES?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's a Rubicon with auto and ES (correction). I jacked it up and it seems like the oil pump chain after reading about other forum questions with the same issue.

When the wheels are in the air, and I increase the RPM, the wheels turn slowly with no resistance.
If I lock it in 4WD, the linkage between the front and rear seems to be normal, but it won't drive.

Goes into gear fine even in manual it goes into all gears.

Reverse and forward have the same result.

I think I will just have to pull the front open and check the chain?

Anyone know where is the port people talk about to test oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
6,247 Posts
If you have a Foreman ES your transmission is not driven by oil pressure. It's gear driven.

If you have a Rubicon you will have a shifter on the left side of the gas tank to go from forward to neutral to reverse, and your rig is driven by oil pressure.

If you have an ES, with no shifter on the left side of the gas tank, I'd be checking your clutches. Sounds like something isn't hooking up, but it's very odd that it would do it so suddenly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Rancher 420 AT and it sounds like I have the same or similar problem. Did you find a fix? I will give a short history on what may or may not have contributed to my problem...My oil drain threads stripped out of the crankcase casting and there wasn't enough material to tap it out to a larger size. I drilled out the remaining threads with a 1/2" drill bit covered with bearing grease to pick up as much cuttings as possible. Then I flushed out the crankcase with the old oil. I used an expandable plug in the drain hole and put new oil and filter on it. I went for a long ride (about 60 miles) with no oil leaks. Everything was working fine until I lost all drive. The motor runs fine and it goes through the gears in ESP and AUTO, but will not drive the wheels. I've tried it in 4x4 and 2x4 and in every gear while jacked up. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 Honda Foreman Rubicon 500.... after starting, as I begin acceleration, I get a loud knocking and a shaking of the atv as it goes a few feet and then dies. Does this in all gears and feels as though the piston is going to come through the cylinder. After allowing it to sit for 1 - 15 minutes, it usually starts and runs as nothing happened. Help needed any ideas. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts