Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to start my bike and move it...I turned the key and hit the button and the bike fired right up..The display was going crazy..Flashing and all the lights in the display blinking off and on...then the motor died. Now nothing..I check the battery terminals, fuses and sprayed everything down with WD40. I thought maybe the exciter box(rectifier) whatver it is called..So I unpluged it and it is clean in the connectors..So I sprayed them down with WD40 and still have nothing..So I jumped the solinoid and the bike will start but misses horribly. the display does the same flashing and blinking as before..when I turn on the headlight switch,the bike seems to smooth out and run better but I can give it no gas as it will backfire and miss..If i hit the starter button while it is running the starter spins, as does the ES work..But it is running real bad. When I turn off the key I have no power whatsoever anywhere on the bike..Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
wow, that sounds serious there. Carb clean? Water in the gas tank maybe?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no power on the bike....No electricity...zero....NADA..

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Have you check the fuses. Sounds like the ignition went south.

·
Registered
145 Posts
thought

just a thought with the description you gave, could be low voltage from maybe a bad cell in the battery,, would also cause the electronics not to function and starter to not work right

·
Registered
145 Posts
thought

might also check corrosion in ground wire to motor/frame.. I had one that looked good on both ends, but was pure corrosion inside the jacket

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
His battery had bad connections this weekend, draining it so we had to ppull start it w/ another bike. So it may have killed a cell in it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But when I jump the solennoid it spins over and starts,,,Runs like crap and the display still goes crazy.. What do you guys think about the exciter box under the right rear fender??? If that went out do you think that could cause those types of symptoms??

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
it could be runnin like crap cause its not gettin enough volts to power things that are needed. try puttin the Rincon battery on it for the helluva it, rig it up, see if that helps anything.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OOPs I'm stupid I guess...I checked all fuses on the bike visually...But I should have at least checked the main...Anyway..The main fuse looked like it was intact, but appearantly that is where my problem was..I changed out the main fuse and it all started to work perfectly...I think part of the problem was the crappy job the my local dealer did on my winch installation.. I had probs all weekend with the main winch cables on the battery because when they installed it they cut the end of the connectors off the cable so they could just loosen the battery nut on the pos and neg and just slip the cable under the bolt head..without having to remove the bolt completely and put the bolt through the cable end and then back into the battery..Anyway enough said..problem fixed...Thanks for all suggestions and help on this topic.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
good news!! Yeah the guys who did that winch install shouldnt be allowed anywhere near electrical wiring of any kinds!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE ("Robb":aup1df9l)
good news!! Yeah the guys who did that winch install shouldnt be allowed anywhere near electrical wiring of any kinds!
I agree.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts