Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i hit a mud hole the a couple days and went to back up and the machine would spit and sputter like it was hitting a reverse rev limit or something... so I was thinking maybe its something getting wet . But it did it this am after sitting out in the sun all day yesterday. So its clearly dried out by now..The thing will hardly move in reverse now. I'm baffled by this and wanted to see if anyone else has had this same issue ? Thanks all :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Check the little switch on the bottom of your shifter. If that's good, might need a little adjustment on your shifter rod. Wife's 01 has been doing this for a while, a wiggle of the shifter clears it up, had the same issue back when I rebuilt it. I've just been to lazy to take the plastic off to clean/adjust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the little switch on the bottom of your shifter. If that's good, might need a little adjustment on your shifter rod. Wife's 01 has been doing this for a while, a wiggle of the shifter clears it up, had the same issue back when I rebuilt it. I've just been to lazy to take the plastic off to clean/adjust.
Good deal , I'll check it out tonight after work , I also noticed it didn't show an ( R ) in the gear selection on the dash ? Weird also but I'll check it out . Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys , so I adjusted my shift linkage a bit on my rubi , the reverse worked great the R showed on the screen it was all good...... for about the first 2 miles of riding . Got into a mud hold needed to back out and couldn't because just about as soon as I hit the gas it was hitting the rev limiter but the tires wouldn't spin enough to even mover me ... maybe adjust it more ? Are there some specs to follow ? I'm lost and very frustrated now. Any help would be great thanks a lot !

·
Registered
109 Posts
i was able to fix my issue with adjusting that rod, i just did it by feel, you know, tried it, adjusted it, tried it adjusted it. Cant give any specs...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for updating the thread with the fix. It will b a good thing if anyone digs this up with the same problem. Glad to hear ur riding again

·
Registered
727 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being the shift sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
U shud try the reverse mod for the rubi. We did it I mine. Now I haul balls in reverse.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Rubicon Reverse Override Procedure Posted 3-17-2008 By: Rancher12
Here goes:

This will involve two switches on your Rubicon.

The first is on the gear shifter. It is small and has two wires connected to it. Remove the small screw that holds the switch to the shifter assembly and place the switch behind the shifter, this is done to keep it from operating while in reverse. You can remove entirely but I didn't. I ziptied out of the way, just in case I ever decide to put it back on.

The second switch is the gear position switch, it has 4 wires and is located to the left of the recoil starter. The wires come up and over the recoil starter and connect to a connector mounted on the right frame bar under the seat. They are 4 wires in a square shape. The colors are White, Gray, Light Blue/White, and Light Green. Unhook the connector and you want to use the switch side of the connector to do your modifications. I wouldn't use the Main harness side due to it being more expensive to replace. Remove the tape and sheathing on the gear position switch wiring harness back roughly 3-4 inches. Find your Gray wire and your White wire. You will need to cut the gray wire, leaving enough length to connect it to the white wire. Where you cut the gray wire, use the end that goes to the switch, NOT the end that goes back up to the connector. Take this end and connect it to the white wire. You can solder, crimp, whatever. Just make sure it is solid and you can tape/seal it up. Once you have the gray wire coming from the switch connected to the white wire you can plug the connector back together. Now you Rubicon will go

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rubicon Reverse Override Procedure Posted 3-17-2008 By: Rancher12
Here goes:

This will involve two switches on your Rubicon.

The first is on the gear shifter. It is small and has two wires connected to it. Remove the small screw that holds the switch to the shifter assembly and place the switch behind the shifter, this is done to keep it from operating while in reverse. You can remove entirely but I didn't. I ziptied out of the way, just in case I ever decide to put it back on.

The second switch is the gear position switch, it has 4 wires and is located to the left of the recoil starter. The wires come up and over the recoil starter and connect to a connector mounted on the right frame bar under the seat. They are 4 wires in a square shape. The colors are White, Gray, Light Blue/White, and Light Green. Unhook the connector and you want to use the switch side of the connector to do your modifications. I wouldn't use the Main harness side due to it being more expensive to replace. Remove the tape and sheathing on the gear position switch wiring harness back roughly 3-4 inches. Find your Gray wire and your White wire. You will need to cut the gray wire, leaving enough length to connect it to the white wire. Where you cut the gray wire, use the end that goes to the switch, NOT the end that goes back up to the connector. Take this end and connect it to the white wire. You can solder, crimp, whatever. Just make sure it is solid and you can tape/seal it up. Once you have the gray wire coming from the switch connected to the white wire you can plug the connector back together. Now you Rubicon will go
Thank you but I don't really want to do all that . I just want it to be fixed as it was factory . The rev limiter don't bother me when it is working like it should but its kicking on as soon as the gas is hit when in reverse , spitting and sputtering even on dry land trying to back up a hill . I'm going to mess with the shift linkage again Saturday and see if I can figure it out that way . If not idk what to do other than drop it off at the shop because if its electrical I won't touch it because I'm horrible with wires :unsure:
But I'll post again once fixed thanks all for the input .

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Thank you but I don't really want to do all that . I just want it to be fixed as it was factory . The rev limiter don't bother me when it is working like it should but its kicking on as soon as the gas is hit when in reverse , spitting and sputtering even on dry land trying to back up a hill . I'm going to mess with the shift linkage again Saturday and see if I can figure it out that way . If not idk what to do other than drop it off at the shop because if its electrical I won't touch it because I'm horrible with wires :unsure:
mine was doing the same thing...jeep and i tried to fix it a few times...and had it fixed all of about 5 minutes and it started doing the same thing..so we just did this... i just wanted it fixed...but i really like this mod, it helps out alot while in the mud if you ever get in a sticky spot... the only drawback (it doesnt bother me) for you OCD guys out there, while in reverese it has an L on the display...

but i am well pleased with this mod... if you get it to working the way you want, thats great, if you cant seem to get it working, you might want to reconsider this mod.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you fix that reverse problem? I have the same exact problem and no one can figure it out......Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a change pivot thing that gets bad on these notoriously also the rod going to the shifter can be bent. It's justnot going into gear. on mine I just have to wiggle it it doesn't do it very often, it will jump out of gear every now and again and I will just wait for the revs to go down and put it back in reverse properly. But I have a brand-new change pivot gear and my shifter has been beaten back into submission. you can kind of tell by the plastics if they look out of place or the shifter relative to the plastics. Keep in mind I have a 2003 Honda foreman rubicon with a hondamatic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts