Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm working on a friend's 04 rubicon 500 that is flashing code 11.
I've removed and inspected the shift motor and found one of the magnets to have a chunk broken off of it.
I cleaned up all the pieces and reassembled the starter. It works good when hooking up to the battery but it still won't shift into 2nd gear without it going into limp mode.

When I start the engine I can't get the "N" to display unless I start it while holding the front brake.
When starting withe the front brake applied, the "N" is on the display, I put the shift lever in drive (and esp mode), the indicatior shows im in 1st gear but when I try to shift to 2nd gear it defaults back into limp mode and the gear indicator goes blank again.

Could the motor still be the cause of this?
I've tested continuity on the wires from the ecu to the Clift motor, the check good.
I've tried to initialize the ecu but can't get it to operated the shift motor as it describes in the manual.
All fuses check good also.
This thing has me stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, it is possible that the shift motor is still at fault. Testing with another known, good one is the best way to tell.
Other than that, I'd suggest you try turning the gear by hand that the shift motor connects with (with the motor removed).
It's possible that the gear which controls the Hondamatic is stuck and needs to be freed up.
These first generation Rubicons had a fair amount of auto transmission failures before updates corrected things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gear inside turns free.
I hate to have my fried buy a shift motor and have it not be the problem but I'm not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet....there are aftermarket ones available, although oem is usually best.
Just be glad you don't have to pay Canadian prices for Honda stuff!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the new shift motor showed up.
Installed it and still no shifting.
I've tried to initialize the system but I must be doing something wrong cause It never actuates the shift motor.
Maybe I need help with the initializing procedure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My suggestion is to do the initializing quickly, it doesn't work if done too slow. As soon as you release the shift buttons, do the up & down fast - no hesitation.
The first time you do it, you're thinking too much and it is usually unsuccessful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress report, well, kind of.
I tried to initialize the system again today, with some success but it didn't last long.
I read a post about it possibly having worn or dirty contacts inside the ignition switch.
I did as they described by spraying contact cleaner into the ignition switch and cycling the key on and off numerous time to help clean the contacts.
Crazy thing, it worked.
I was able to shift through all the gears, 1 thru 5 and back to 1st at least a dozen times then all of a sudden it quit shifting again.
Checked the codes and code 11 was back.
Couldn't get it to shift again after that.
This thing is getting frustrating.

Any other ideas what to check next?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I disassembled the switch and checked the condition of the contacts, they were a little dirty so I cleaned them up and put some dielectric grease on the contacts and reassembled.
This did nothing to get it to work again so I'm still stumped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Could be the ECM at fault." That seems to be the big unknown on problems like this . That's pretty frustrating given the expense and return policies, but I am close to buying one myself while chasing down this same issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll probably have my buddy get the ecu for his also, I can't find anything else it could be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet to know if it's good or not....
pretty rare for Honda's to have modules fail but it does happen.
good luck with this one, it's a toughie!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts