Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil on my foreman today and I have to tell you the bolt was really hard to get off. I had to use a cheater bar to break the torque. Well I installed new oil and put the plug back in with a new washer and I tightened it down pretty good but now it looks like it has a small leak coming from the plug or around it. Any suggestions or do I need to just tighten up like it was before. It never leaked before. I just don't want to break off the bolt head. Thanks for any replys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like the old saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it lol i would put the same washer back on or get a new one just like it hope that helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a new washer but should I tighten it back down as tight as it was? I had to use a breaker break to get the bolt off to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Id leave it a while and keep an eye on it ...The sealing washer will squish/flatten out after several oil changes .. If the washer looks like it needed replacement then it should have been replaced..
Do not try to tighten the drail bolt with a pipe or powerbar ,you will strip the threads in the crankcase if you do ..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old washer looked like it was really crushed down. Thats why I went ahead and replaced. Do you recommend any other type of washer or could I put a little silicone on it for now. After I ran it for just a few minutes I was able to tighten it up a little bit more. Do you think I need to get the engine really hot and try and tighten it up a little more? Thanks for your help Hoda Mechanic!!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The drain plug only torques to 18 ft.lb. .. I would clean around it now with contact/brake cleaner ,let it sit a day or so ..Then check for leaks ..

If it leaks I'd get someone to help you stand the bike on the rear tires & rear rack .. Remove the drain plug spray contact/brake cleaner around the drain hole and check the flat sealing surface and also check the threads & case around the threads for a crack or some kind of damage ..

If you can't lift it on it's rear rack you can use tie-downs from your garage trusses put the bike in gear and run it slowly up onto the rack ..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Honda Mechanic. Do you have any idea what the problem might be? LIke I said it never leaked until I changed the oil. I bought the quad used and it had fresh oil in it and it was due for a oil change. Could the washer be bad by any chance? The other one was crushed down really bad but it never leaked. Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I hope you didn't crack your case. Like mentioned above, it only requires
18 lbs. of torque. That's really not that much. I've learned the hard way on
overtightenin' things. I believe i am king of over torquin' things.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked for cracks and there are none which is a relief. Ok I think I figured out what was wrong. It looks like the hole has been tapped to fit a 14mm bolt instead of a 12mm bolt. I bought a rubber compound washer to try out and it didn't work. Would you guys recommend me trying to use a regular washer with the rubber washer and if so what order do they need to go on? What do you guys think about putting a little RTV around where the washer and bolt seal up all over the side of it? Thanks Again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.