Honda Foreman Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with a 2005 Honda Rancher AT. Has anyone figured this out yet? Mine also does it in forward and reverse. In reverse, it will almost bottom out the suspension to where the fenders are almost against the rear tires.

My best guess is one or both of the following parts listed in the link below, but I hate to waste money on unnecessary parts....let alone tear the differential apart for no reason.

Hammond Indiana, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Sea-Doo, Can-Am, Polaris, Ski, Tucker Rocky, Parts, ATV, Motorcycle, UTV, Accessories, Apparel,

Item #26 - "FOLLOWER SET, CAM" - Part # 42440-HN5-671
Item #28 - "Spring" - Part # 42461-HN5-671

Below is what I posted on another forum a couple of weeks ago and have received no replies. I'm sure people think I'm crazy, but it appears I'm not alone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strange issue here, but here it is....

This weekend, I noticed when I would let off the gas and be riding in 4wd mode, the front end would dive down more and stay down. Even at slow speeds it would be down an inch or so lower. As soon as 4wd mode disengaged, the front end would lift back up. It's like the the front diff is binding or something making the fourwheeler almost have to push the front wheels along, which basically lifts the backend up. The easiest way to picture what I'm trying to describe is to hold the front brakes and give it gas at the same time.

I also noticed that sometimes when I would let off the gas from say 30mph, I would hear a chattering noise coming from somewhere along that area, but would never hear it in 2wd mode.

It also seems that 4wd mode is not disengaging as easily as it once did. The strange thing is the green 4wd light goes off, but 4wd doesn't always disengage until I turn the handlebars or backup......stopping completely doesn't always seem to work like it once did.

I did lift the fourwheeler up off the ground with jacks and ran it in 2wd and 4wd and never heard anything unusual. In 4wd mode all four wheels spin and I can hold either of the front wheels and the other will keep spinnng.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where start before I go tearing the diff apart? I changed the diff oil about 150 miles ago with the same oil I always have for the past seven years. It's a 2005 Honda Rancher AT, which I bought new and this is the first major issue I've had with it. Also, no water has ever gotten into the diff and 4wd mode rarely gets used.

Thanks for any help or advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem Fixed

I got it figured out. It was the tire sizes. I'm running GBC Dirt Devil II's on front and rear. The front size is 25x8x12. The rear size is 25x10x11. I verified the air pressure in each tire was 4psi and then measured around the center tread of the tire. What I found was the front were 4" smaller in circumference than the rears. I then aired the front tires up to 20psi to increase the size and only to test my theroy out, which decreased the difference in size to 1", and my issues went away. So, if you're having the issue being discussed in this thread, then check your tire sizes out.

About two years ago I installed these tires, but decided to go with 25" versus the factory 24", due to more tire choices. I even verified the specs from GBC who makes the tires and they listed the tires as being the same height. Guess I learned a lesson here and that spec must change when mounted on the rims somewhat. So dont assume they are the same size even though they are supposed to be. For the record, the factory tire sizes are 24x8x12 and 24x10x11.

Later!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Foreman 450 ES. I had an intermittent issue going into 4x4 for a couple years. I’d switch 4x4 on, and sometimes it’s work and the light would come on, and sometimes it would not. Finally I got fed up, started thinking about buying a new wheeler. Anyway, I pulled the switch off the handlebar and opened it up. The switch is a very old design and not sealed. I cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner. Put it back together and now it works perfectly. Very happy right now.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts