Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a big problem with my 4 wheel drive on my foreman 450. a guy on here had the same problem but in the end of the thread there was no problem fixer. http://www.hondaforeman.com/128-foreman-450/77359-2004-450es-4x4-problem.html .this is the link to it and what he explains is the same thing that is happenen to me. it would be awsome if someone knew what this was or if that guy that had that problem got it fixed and could chime in. i went over every inch of that fourwheeler and cant figuare it out

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
if your having the same problems, (if you know how) split your front diff open check the gears. Im not familar with the 450s are they designed to switch into 4wd on the go or you have to go back into neutral? if they are built to go back into neutral first sounds like someone may have busted the engaging part of the gear from forcing it in on the move. thats just my opinon. maybe rich can throw ya some help. (any kids that have rode it that arent familar with the bike)?

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
sorry man i still have no idea whats going on .....but what ever it is , it sounds expensive. mabey toodeep can shed some light on the problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah its meesed up. it was fine till i changed the oil lol. i did have it in the air and the spiders worked goog but the only thing between there and the engine is the ring and pionion. i will start to rip it apart tommorow and see what i can find. i will keep you guys updated. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont think its anything in the tranny or rear end. The final shaft turns the same in the front as the rear. When you engage the 4 wheel drive its actually in the front diff that engages the 4x4. The front driveshaft should turn all the time regardless if its in our out. I would put it up on a atv stand with all 4 wheels in the air and put it in gear see if you can notice any notching in the front wheels indicating it not engaging all the way or problems with the diff its self.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
i just had an idea .....what if the front differential mount is broken and when you engage the 4x4 the front diff is moving up binding the drive line. ..............

·
Registered
76 Posts
My uncle had the same problem on his it was some bolts that came loose in his front diff and caused it to locke up when engaged. He had to split the hole front diff to see what was happening ended up having to bring to to a machanic to fix cause he put a washer in backwards after trying to fix it. Dont remember exactly what it was hope this might help a little.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i just had an idea .....what if the front differential mount is broken and when you engage the 4x4 the front diff is moving up binding the drive line. ..............
I like this idea, makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would think with a broken mount or bolts you would hear a clanking noise against the frame popping from cv axles in binds or the propeller shaft. Do you just notice it at low speeds or faster speeds? I would try and get on a smooth flat surface pref a non incline road. Engage your 4x4 stay straight get up to about 3rd gear and using the manual shift pull the shifter up and hold it releasing the clutch to the drive axles and see if you experience the braking at a coast instead of acceleration or hold back of the engine.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
How does the machine roll around just pushing it by hand? Try it in 2x4 and 4x4 and see if there is any difference in resistance. The problem started when changing the differential fluid or motor oil?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey sorry guys had to go out of town this weekend so didnt get to pull it apart yet but heading out there in a bit to take a look at it. will let you know what i find when i get it apart. thanks for the info guys! lets hope this is the problem!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i went outside and started to mess with it. put in the air and runs fine. no weird noises, no clanks or popping sounds. took for ride did the same thing. put back in air and looked at the diff. no broken bolts, brakes arent locked up and bearings are good at the wheel. looks like Q2 was right, its gotta be something in the diff. If you read this again Q2 do you thing you could ask your uncle what exactly what was wrong? that we be awsome! if not i understand. ran out of time today but wanna get it out in the next few days. let me know if anyone has any more idea! thanks guys ill keep you updated!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
can you post a video of what its doing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i think i found the problem...just trade it in. couldnt figuare it out so i bought a 2012 foreman. wish i knew what it was

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
that would bother me forever if i never figured it out. nice man ill own a 2012 foreman in about 10 years when i can get one cheap lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
If i just went out and bought a new something when it was making a noise and i could not figure it out, I would be in a new everything!!Congrats on the new Foreman.I have not heard anything except good things about them.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
deleted it. looking for a new one

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys! cant wait to pick it up tommorow!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i told the dealership to let me know what was the problem was when they pull it apart so i stil might find out for piece of mind. got the new ride today and love it. id put a picture up but i couldnt figuar it out. thanks for the help guys!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts