Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum - View Single Post - 2002 Rubicon advice
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
MontanaMark
Honda Rider

Question 2002 Rubicon advice

Hello,

First of all, a big thank you to everyone who would be so kind to point me in the right direction. I know that many new people come by these forums and ask similar questions to many asked before. I sure appreciate your time.

I purchased a 2002 Rubicon for cheap because of "transmission" problems. Cosmetically the machine is in great shape, certainly doesn't look like its been abused. 4500 miles and 5500 hours. It has been sitting for probably 8 years. I dumped the gas, cleaned the carb, changed the plug, etc and the motor seems strong. I also changed the oil and filter and double checked the type of oil and level were correct. The transmission works somewhat is ESP and D1/D2 but seems to slip and grind quite a bit, especially under load. Didn't want to drive it much.

I tested oil pressure and it is decidedly LOW. 10psi at idle and 25 psi at high (4000) rpm. I pulled the check valve from the right side of the motor and it seems to be stuck. I can remove the spring but cannot remove the valve. I've herd some smart Hondamatic guys like Harig and toodeep describe this sequence of problems. Thanks for weighing in.

Is it possible that this machine could be saved with a new oil pump, without replacing the Hondamatic unit?

If i purchase an oil pump from Honda (though partzilla perhaps) is it the updated pump, or should I purchase a pump for a different model year?

I am not opposed to replacing the Hondamatic because I like the machine and hardly have any money invested. Can a farm kid replace these parts or should I hire this done.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome