2015 Foreman Rubicon 500 Steering Problems - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dlott66

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2015 Foreman Rubicon 500 Steering Problems

Hi, This is my first post to the forum. I have a 2015 foreman rubicon 500. The steering is drifting as you are driving it kind of goes side to side a bit. Power steering seems to be working. When I changed the oil today I moved the handlebars back and forth (not started). Looking at the power steering box the shaft going in the top moves a slight bit back and forth but coming out of the bottom there is no movement to the tie rods. Once you move it a bit more the tie rods move and steering moves. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the forum. There will be play in between the 2 shafts especially if it's not activated. Have you checked your toe? Almost every one of them come toed out from the factory. I like to set them as close to zero as possible favoring a slight toe out if needed.

2013 MUV 700----2011TRX500FPM----2009TRX420FPA----2009TRX420FA----2007 TRX420FM----2006 TRX400FA----1995TRX300FW----1988TRX350D----1988TRX300---1974 CB750 Amen Savior Chopper----!974 ST90
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thank you for the info. I will try to set toe this weekend and see if that helps. Do we know what the toe should be set at on the 2015 foreman rubicon? Neutral, Toe in, Toe out. How much?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
check your tie rod ends for any play in them, they are fairly cheap to replace if worn.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:57 PM
Honda Rider

My '07 Foreman 500 ES manual has this
1 3/16 to 19/32, TOW OUT, front of wheels greater that rear of wheels. No load.

I'd like to send you the whole page, but the file is "too big"

If you have an email, maybe I could send you the page that way. It is a .pdf file

I don't know why they have a toe out, maybe with the operator it comes into a toe in.....?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Over the weekend I used a string tied to hitch in rear then ran a string around each side up to front about mid way on the rear tire. I made sure string was flat on the rear tire at front and rear so the string was aimed straight ahead. I tied the string off at the front on each side to a couple of metal pieces so I could move them.

I immediately could see one tire was toe in a lot and the other looked like it had a slight amount of toe out. I centered the steering and rechecked to be sure. I then adjusted the left side that had a lot of toe in.

Somehow the steering moved in the process and wound up chasing my tail a bit. I took a strap and tied the steering so it was centered and could not move then readjusted the left side so it matched the right side with a tad bit of toe out. Then tightened the tie rods back. I also noticed my front tires had way too much air so I let a bit out.

At first the steering was all over the place even worse than before but after a few minutes riding it magically went to perfect.

Question: Does the power steering have a computer controlling it? It almost seemed like it had to relearn how to keep the ATV straight.

Anyway, problem solved, thank you to everyone that chimed in on this one.
szyg6h likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 02:18 AM
Honda Rider

Good
That string trick works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page