2001 rubicon starter problem - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2001 rubicon starter problem

Last weekend my batery was drained. It has a new batery from last spring. I charged the battery and the ATV worked fine all weekend. This weekend i get to the cotage and the ATV start. I had to bring it outside the garage. Later that night when i tried to enter the ATV back in the garage. I had no light when the ignition key was on. I toughtt it was the battery but the battery was full charged. It was late so I puched the ATV into the garage. This morning the ATV started. In the after noon. I turned the keyswitch on and i had ingnition light. When i tryed to star the ATV I could heard the relay ticking but when I press the start swith. I lost all ignition light for arond 15 min and after then the ingnition switch was working excep i had no more relay sound. I look the bike manual and i found some procedure in chapter 22. They all make sence when you do them. My problem Is that the quad keep behaving differently. So one procedure work and stop working later.

Any one has and idea? I think my problem is a short somewhere or the relay or the break diode or ignition diod.

Last time I tried it i could hear the relay switch ticking but verry low noise compare to the one my dad has. However the quad started about 5 time in row Now i can't reproduce the problem. But i know something is off. It will do it aigain.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Violon View Post
Last weekend my batery was drained. It has a new batery from last spring. I charged the battery and the ATV worked fine all weekend. This weekend i get to the cotage and the ATV start. I had to bring it outside the garage. Later that night when i tried to enter the ATV back in the garage. I had no light when the ignition key was on. I toughtt it was the battery but the battery was full charged. It was late so I puched the ATV into the garage. This morning the ATV started. In the after noon. I turned the keyswitch on and i had ingnition light. When i tryed to star the ATV I could heard the relay ticking but when I press the start swith. I lost all ignition light for arond 15 min and after then the ingnition switch was working excep i had no more relay sound. I look the bike manual and i found some procedure in chapter 22. They all make sence when you do them. My problem Is that the quad keep behaving differently. So one procedure work and stop working later.

Any one has and idea? I think my problem is a short somewhere or the relay or the break diode or ignition diod.

Last time I tried it i could hear the relay switch ticking but verry low noise compare to the one my dad has. However the quad started about 5 time in row Now i can't reproduce the problem. But i know something is off. It will do it aigain.

I tried it aigain this morning i have ignition light, the relay make a smale click that is berly noticable and it crank. I hate electric problem especelly when they are acting differenly evry time.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Honda Lover

Could be a loose connection on the battery if it's corroded. Check that the terminals are tight and all connections are good.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
Could be a loose connection on the battery if it's corroded. Check that the terminals are tight and all connections are good.
They are for the battery and the starter motor and also on the relay. I havent check the diode. This imply remouving the front platic.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Honda Lover

What's the exact voltage? I hear some are very finicky when it comes to having enough voltage though I'm not sure if your model is in that category.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
you have an electrical problem, clean all connections and put dielectric grease on and test the battery with a load tester also make sure the ground cable is clean and tight. My 2001 ruby's does not like low voltage, they need a good full battery.
always start with the basics and never assume anything is good without checking it.
here is a link to a shop manual to help.. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...&directio n=a

Last edited by harig; 09-23-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by harig View Post
you have an electrical problem, clean all connections and put dielectric grease on and test the battery with a load tester also make sure the ground cable is clean and tight. My 2001 ruby's does not like low voltage, they need a good full battery.
always start with the basics and never assume anything is good without checking it.
here is a link to a shop manual to help.. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...&directio n=a
Thanks. I have to check aigain i belivec it's at 12.7 or .4 volt. But event if I pit the charger on the battery and turn the ignition key i have no green light when transmition is in neutral. Originaly i tought the problem was i the starting circuite but now i think it's in the ingnition circuite. The problem is now. When i turn the keyswitch I have light or display. The battery is good conection look good and the fuse are good. It sound like and open circuit somewhere. I have to take the time to read the manual...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Long story. couple of week ago when I was at the cotage and that I turn the key switch on I had no light. I manage to start the ATV with the Pull cord to get it in the back of my truck. When I got in town I could not srart it aigain.. I was mad I had to pull it out of the back of the truck and I left it there outside with a tarp on it. This week when I tried to start it to bring it to my friend garage. I had no Ignition key. I pull the cord and they the ingnining light turn on. I then try the starter and it was working. I was eable to start it. I'm about to go remouved all the rack and plastic to try to chase this electrical problem. Where should I start looking? All fuse and battery conection are good and clean. Could this be and ECM problem? I hate electric problem....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Violon View Post
Long story. couple of week ago when I was at the cotage and that I turn the key switch on I had no light. I manage to start the ATV with the Pull cord to get it in the back of my truck. When I got in town I could not srart it aigain.. I was mad I had to pull it out of the back of the truck and I left it there outside with a tarp on it. This week when I tried to start it to bring it to my friend garage. I had no Ignition key. I pull the cord and they the ingnining light turn on. I then try the starter and it was working. I was eable to start it. I'm about to go remouved all the rack and plastic to try to chase this electrical problem. Where should I start looking? All fuse and battery conection are good and clean. Could this be and ECM problem? I hate electric problem....
I have remouve all the rack and plastic. I took. I check all conector and ground i could see they are all good. I can't reproduce my problem now. The ignition light and electric starter work evrytime. They only thing is when i turn the key switch. I can hear a verry low tic sound coming from the ECM. My dad has the same quad at the cotage but i remember his sound is mutch louder. On my quad the sound come from the ECM not the relay. I have to check where the sound come from on my dad's quad. Any idea what to check?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

No one know? Anyone know where I could go to ask my questions? M'i at the wright place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page