First 20 hr service question? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

First 20 hr service question?

I've read a number of post on this forum where it has been recommended to use Rotella T6 oil and K&N oil and air filters.
Would you guys recommend doing that at the first 20 hr service? K&N didn't have a oil filter listed for the 2019 deluxe but had KN-114 listed for the 2018 I'm assuming they would be the same. What Air filter you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Honda Rider

Garage
Subscribed and waiting for recommendations as well.

-Chico Scout

2020 FOURTRAX FOREMAN RUBICON FA5 4X4 AUTOMATIC DCT EPS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Honda Lover

I ran reg oil in mine till after the 100 hrs mark and then used T-6 in mine, and t-6 ever since.

2017 trx500 fm6

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Honda Lover

The 19 & 18 models are the same and take the same filters, the dtc filters are a different number than the foot shift models, some say uni for an air filter, I simply stayed stock as mine is a work horse and not a race bike...

2017 trx500 fm6
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

like all oil treads, oil is something personal to most folks
some like"X" brand, some like GOOD brand name, some go as cheap as possible and some go as long as possible on changing oil
so all info here will/should be viewed with a grain of salt

many folks and even dealers/HONDA< seem to think, NOT running SYN oil is good for the first 100+ hours, allowing things to set in and such!

after that, seems everyone has there views again

as far as I am concerned, as long as oil is clean and meets spec's needed, if really doesn't mater as long as you change it when its needed
and I say NEEDED< not going by hours or miles

over work a engine, run it hard in dusty places, and oil changes should eb done sooner, and I don't care what oil brand your using!

I personally run Amsoil, and have in countless things since there first oil changes
but again that's MY personal picking

lots of folks like T 6 cause its available lots of places and for a great price most times

but the main key is and should be, just change it when it needs changing, don;t be trying to squeeze every pounce of time and use out of it!
oil is still cheaper than a new motor!

and as for OIL filters, again, many will have what they feel is best
I have used most brands, but tend to stick with OEM< NAPA, or like brand named one's
and its mostly due to I buy them in BULK< to get best prices and there sold close to me

the key where again, is put them in the RIGHT way, and change them when changing oil!

I am sure some of every brand have been BAD, but I never had one yet! of any name brand!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks for the info and replies all good information and I'm gonna stick with OEM until next service.
MrBB I was lucky enough to grow up with a Granddad who was a farmer. Maintenance was very high on his list and he taught me the very things you mentioned.
I remember once back in high school I got out early one day and drove out to the farm. I wanted to bushhog this area I knew he wanted cut but he had taken my Grandmother for a yearly Dr. Visit.
As they returned home I was finishing up and pulled up into the yard. First thing he said to me, "Boy did you grease that tractor and bushhog before using it?"
My answer, "Yes Sir!" His reply, " Good then go cut around the pond and then we will have supper."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page