2017 Rubicon 500 Valve Adjustment - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
jk1
Honda Rider

Question 2017 Rubicon 500 Valve Adjustment

Hi all,

2017 Rubicon 500, EPS, DCT. Just adjusted my valves, but as soon as i started it, it was ticking worse than before. I have about 3,300km on it. I tried putting it at TDC using the timing plug, but could not see any timing mark. I've read that there is supposed to be a ''T'' on the flywheel or something, can anyone confirm this? I used the method of putting a zip-tie through the spark plug hole and cranking the engine by hand till it goes all the way up and both rocker arms are loose but this might not be precise enough. Can anyone confirm which size feeler gauges are to be used? Any tips would help!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Honda Rider

Haven’t worked on one that new, but I generally have to use a flashlight and turn the engine quite slowly to find the T on a Honda.

That being said, the base circles on modern cams are pretty consistent. Valve gap is likely the same when the piston is anywhere close to top dead center between compression and power stroke.

06 Rincon 680. Foreman headlight conversion, Guru bumper, Warn XT30, Maier guards, Bighorns
05 Foreman 500 FM, 2.5 Warn, Bighorns
Dually Ram and Patio Hauler 5th wheel
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Honda Rider

Was just wondering how the valves were before you changed them - too tight and you loosened them? Were they already loose? Sometimes a properly adjusted engine still sounds like it's ticking, but that's normal. Don't forget that things change as an engine heats up, that's why you should always do adjustments on it cold.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Honda Rider

First tiem I made it the same :-( It's wrong. You probabely adjust valve clearance at wrong position!!! The ''T'' sign on the flywheel can be at TWO piston positions. You have to find the right one for valve clearance adjustment!!!

This is in manual:
Make sure the piston is at TOC (Top Dead Center), the "T" sigh" on the compression stroke. This position can be obtained by confirming that there is slack in both rocker arms. If there is no slack, rotate the crankshaft clockwise one full turn and match up the "T" mark again.

Honda Foreman 4x4 ES EPS 2015
DIRECTION 2 overfenders
UNI air filter
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
jk1
Honda Rider

Thanks for your replies, I recently purchased the atv and it sounded, mostly upon downshifts, like it was ticking slightly. Upon inspection I found that the Intake was slightly loose and exhaust was too tight, hence why I decided to readjust them. I’ll try again with a second person cranking because trying to crank slowly by hand while looking in the tiny hole is annoying to say the least.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Honda Addict

Put your finger over the spark plug hole, to confirm compression stroke. TDC on the top of the compression stroke, in other words piston is coming up the cylinder with both valves closed and is pushing air out the spark plug hole. Then check timing mark...

2008 420 Rancher manual shift. Rubicon alum wheels & tires (old style). RT 2500 Warn winch.
2015 500 Rubicon-manual shift, 3500SR Terra Superwinch. Strong made receiver hitch.
2018 Foreman, manual shift, Warn provantage 2500-S, KFI mount.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
jk1
Honda Rider

Thanks, did this exactly, still dont see timing mark but rechecked with feeler gauges, i really do have the right specs. I called the dealer and what they suggest is taking off the hand crank and turning the engine with a ratchet, but im not doing this as id have to take a whole bunch of parts off. Again, i checked the clearances before readjuting the first time, and the exhaust was really too tight, so my theory is that i was not hearing much if any ticking, and now that they are properly clearanced, im hearing the ''real'' engine sound, which ticks more than it was before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page