2002 Rubicon no start. - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2002 Rubicon no start.

I have an 02 Rubicon with 2200 miles on it that I have had since it had 300 miles on it. I bought it in 2009. It has been trouble free. I parked it in the garage a few days ago and it was running fine as usual. Went to start it today and no power to the display. Battery is fully charged, no power to winch or headlights either. I've checked fuses under the seat, all are good. I can jump the solenoid and get it to turn over but will not start. I did put a cheap aftermarket ignition switch in it last fall because I lost my keys. It has worked flawlessly. But I can't think of anything else. This is out of the blue, no tell tale signs of something going bad. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Ignition switch tests fine both with a meter and by just plugging something in to the acc port and turning switch on/off. I'm at a loss on this one.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I checked the fuses with a meter. All had power to them except the ignition nor did the light fuse.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

time to check wires, maybe a mouse chewed thru something??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
time to check wires, maybe a mouse chewed thru something??

That was my first thought, but it would be odd. It is kept in my shed with other power equipment and never had problems with mice chewing anything. In fact I have never had any mouse sign in there. I'm wondering if somehow the cheap ignition switch is to blame. I didn't put an actual Honda switch in but a cheap aftermarket. It worked fine but I have heard a few guys have problems with them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Well after pushing some work stuff back and looking at it again this morning I figured it out. It was the ignition switch, I cut it and hotwired it and it started right up. Everything works as it should. Too bad I tore the plastics, airbox and other parts off to trace the wire harness. The moral of the story for me here is, USE HONDA PARTS!!!! I was cheap and it bit me in the ass.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
been there done it......Chinese quality has a lot to be desired!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page