2002 Foreman Rubicon D1/D2/ESP flashing - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2002 Foreman Rubicon D1/D2/ESP flashing

looking for some insight or previous posts to troubleshoot my issue.

They ATV is a 2002 rubicon 500 with just under 600 miles on it. i spent the weekend riding and put on about 75 miles without one issue. I came home, unloaded the four wheeler and gave my son a few laps around the yard. I pulled it into the back to wash it down with a hose(not pressure washer). After drying it off i started and noticed a few things.

1- D1/D2/ESP all flash and it will not display the gear position or drive mode. L D N R or gears 1-5.
2- It will move forward but feels as though you are trying to start out in 4th gear as the motor seems very loaded and slow to start moving.
3- Trying to move in reverse and the motor will pop, spit and sputter.

It WAS NOT/HAS not been in any deep water and as i said ran perfect up until i hosed it down. I am wondering if it is possible something got wet during the washing process?

any input would be appreciated.

-Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Garage
If there is no pauses in the blink pattern (giving a code) check the fuses and the connectors at the ecm (above tool box).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2007 420FM (475cc, 27x12x12 Mudbugs) ---------- 1995 300FW (webcamshaft, 350 rear end)
2008 420FE (26x9x12 BearClaws) -------------------
1988 300 (old stock machine, nothing fancy)
2009 420FA (25x8/10x12 BearClaw HTR) ---------
1987 350D (work in progress)

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
it probably got some moisture in the electrical system, being a 2002 with only 600 miles it should be like new... you may want to put some dielectric grease on the electrical connections. it does help. i would park it out in the sun to dry out.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Honda Rider

Check code

Can you run it through a diagnostics and see what error code you get? That may help narrow things down. Some of the items work off resistance so having water in a connector or part would change the resistance of that item and may throw it into limp mode.

1. Turn ignition to off
2. place tranny in nuetral
3. put on parking brake so the quad does not move.
4. Press both shift buttons (up and down), and hold them in, while turning the key to on. Make sure the N appears for gear position. Release the buttons.
5. wait 5 secs,and then press both the switches again.and hold them in for at least 3 seconds, then release the switches.
The codes should flash if there are any.

To delete an old code, do the above and when the code appears, that you want to delete, press the switches.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the angle sensor and cleaned/dried it out. I was able to get it to run normal. It would run/shift as normal but still wouldn’t display L/low range on the screen. I was able to sell it for a good price and replace with a 2019 rancher 420 FA2. Between the power steering, and FI it better suits my needs. My wife enjoys the power steering and I’ll enjoy the fuel injection come winter ice fishing.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Honda Rider

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post

They ATV is a 2002 rubicon 500 with just under 600 miles on it. i spent the weekend riding and put on about 75 miles without one issue. I came home, unloaded the four wheeler and gave my son a few laps around the yard. I pulled it into the back to wash it down with a hose(not pressure washer). After drying it off i started and noticed a few things.

1- D1/D2/ESP all flash and it will not display the gear position or drive mode. L D N R or gears 1-5.
2- It will move forward but feels as though you are trying to start out in 4th gear as the motor seems very loaded and slow to start moving.

It WAS NOT/HAS not been in any deep water and as i said ran perfect up until i hosed it down. I am wondering if it is possible something got wet during the washing process?

-Thanks
I was unsure if I should start a new thread or keep this one going. I am having almost the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon. The only difference is my atv will not move. I am including a video of what is going on. I have already replaced the angle sensor. I tried using the procedure above to pull codes but could not retrieve any. I will try going through all the connectors tomorrow and see if that helps.
video https://youtu.be/Pmz86KoEDfk
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:33 PM
Honda Rider

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy87 View Post

-Thanks
I was unsure if I should start a new thread or keep this one going. I am having almost the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon. The only difference is my atv will not move. I am including a video of what is going on. I have already replaced the angle sensor. I tried using the procedure above to pull codes but could not retrieve any. I will try going through all the connectors tomorrow and see if that helps.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Honda Rider

I had the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon last winter. Mine ended up being a bolt at the bottom of the shift linkage came loose and backed out so the transmission couldn't change gears, I was able to reach in with my hand and manually change gears by fiddling with it. It is a very unique bolt with a large shoulder and a flat Allen head; cost at my dealer for a new one was like $6 or $7. easy & cheap fix. Hope that helps you.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howie View Post

Does the motor make any unusual sounds when you try to take off?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2007 420FM (475cc, 27x12x12 Mudbugs) ---------- 1995 300FW (webcamshaft, 350 rear end)
2008 420FE (26x9x12 BearClaws) -------------------
1988 300 (old stock machine, nothing fancy)
2009 420FA (25x8/10x12 BearClaw HTR) ---------
1987 350D (work in progress)

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forman500Rubicon View Post
I had the same issue with my 2001 Rubicon last winter. Mine ended up being a bolt at the bottom of the shift linkage came loose and backed out so the transmission couldn't change gears, I was able to reach in with my hand and manually change gears by fiddling with it. It is a very unique bolt with a large shoulder and a flat Allen head; cost at my dealer for a new one was like $6 or $7. easy & cheap fix. Hope that helps you.
Here is a picture of the linkage and bolt I described above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7295.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	41929  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in