Considering Rubicon - Question on downshifting in ESP mode - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Considering Rubicon - Question on downshifting in ESP mode

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a 2019 Rubicon DCT EPS.

My question:

While riding a Rubicon in EPS mode (not auto) using the thumb shifter, if you start lagging the engine (no matter the gear), will the transmission automatically downshift to a lower gear even though the Rubicon is in ESP mode?

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:19 AM
Honda Addict

It should stay in the same gear untill you shift it. I'd go with the foot shift myself.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

it will downshift automatically in esp mode when you go from 2nd gear to a stop or from 3rd gear to slow down, then it'll goto 2nd

2019 YAMAHA GRIZZLY 700 SE
Heat demon heated grips
RICOCHET Skid plates, A-arm guards, floor board guards.
Factory Yamaha Rear bumper
Kolpin hand guards
KFI Stealth SE35
Street legal

2014 YAMAHA GRIZZLY 450
Heat demon heated grips
KFI Stealth SE35

2014 YAMAHA GRIZZLY 700
Heat demon heated grips
Kolpin hand guards
WARN A2000
Street legal

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Today, I got the opportunity to test ride a 2019 Rubicon and 2020 Rubicon 520. Both ATVs have DCT.

I can now confirm, while driving in ESP mode (not Auto), if the RPMs drop too low, the transmission will shift down on its' own.

In ESP mode, the transmission will downshift on it's own no matter what gear you are in if the computer determines your RPMs are too low. The transmission will drop from 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd etc ... While in 5th gear, I let the ATV come to a rolling stop and the transmission dropped from 5th all the way to 1st gear on its' own while in ESP mode.

I have had a 2002 Foreman 450es, a 2005 Foreman 500 ESP and a 2008 Rincon with ESP. I have always driven the ATVs in Manual Mode. I just like to have complete control of what gear I am in at all times. My Rincon has over 30,000 miles and I was looking at purchasing a new Rubicon 520. Now, I am not so sure about it. I am in Canada and the Rincon has not been available in the Honda ATV lineup here for the last 2 years.

I am quite concerned if the transmission shifts from second to first gear when climbing a steep hill and having the front wheels come up when giving it gas while assuming I am still in 2nd gear.

Anyway, thank you for your replies.

Mike
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 PM
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticSalmon View Post
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a 2019 Rubicon DCT EPS.

My question:

While riding a Rubicon in EPS mode (not auto) using the thumb shifter, if you start lagging the engine (no matter the gear), will the transmission automatically downshift to a lower gear even though the Rubicon is in ESP mode?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Yes it will downshift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Rubicon Camo, 26 Itp XTR radials. Hand warmers 2500 winch. moose plow.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:11 AM
Honda Rider

So give us your thoughts on the new 2020 520. Can you feel an increase in power over the 2019 model? Does it shift smoother? How does the new front grill look in person? Appreciate any of your thoughts between the two model years.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdk View Post
So give us your thoughts on the new 2020 520. Can you feel an increase in power over the 2019 model? Does it shift smoother? How does the new front grill look in person? Appreciate any of your thoughts between the two model years.
I could definitely feel the power difference through the first 3 gears but nothing that will blow your socks off. The shifting felt the same. I think a non-experienced rider would not even notice the extra cc's without knowing about it.

I found the power steering on the 2020 version felt a bit heavier than the 2019 although the word "heavy" sure does not apply to any Rubicon with power steering. It could have been a difference in the tire pressure.

I did not do any high speed running and I did not have a close look at the front grill either.

The 2020 model Rubicon I tried was the "Deluxe" version in Camo color. The only difference the "Camo Deluxe" model has to other similar equipped "non-deluxe" models are the lightweight rims but the rims are all black and do not have any of the silver trim of the other "Deluxe" model colors. The shock springs are black like the "non-deluxe" models and not silver like the other "Deluxe" models.

The new racks are nothing special. I have not found any Honda accessories online that are made for the new racks. It does have a small storage compartment about the size of a lunch box in front of the handlebar headlight.

I wish I had an option to turn off the automatic downshifting when riding in manual shifting mode.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Honda Rider

Thank you for the feed back. I’m curious if top speed is any faster than the previous models or if it still tops out at 46 mph. I wouldn’t think the auto down shifting would be a big deal. My Toyota Tundra has the same feature in shift mode. I know we are comparing apples and oranges but I can see why the engineers would design it this way. And in real life it actually works awesome for towing and slowing down and climbing grades. It just won’t shift higher than the gear you have it set for and in real conditions it just plain works. I’m planning on getting a 2020 dct eps model later on the year. I’ve narrowed it down to this or the new king quad and as of now I’m planning on the rubicon.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Garage
These are the speeds the transmission will automatically downshift at when in ESP mode. If you come to a complete stop it will shift into 2nd in high and first in low.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
MADTRAPPER likes this.

2007 420FM (475cc, 27x12x12 Mudbugs) ---------- 1995 300FW (webcamshaft, 350 rear end)
2008 420FE (26x9x12 BearClaws) -------------------
1988 300 (old stock machine, nothing fancy)
2009 420FA (25x8/10x12 BearClaw HTR) ---------
1987 350D (work in progress)

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I put a deposit on a 2020 camo Rubicon Deluxe today. I will be picking it up sometime next week.

Thank you all for your input on my shifting concerns.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page