Noise at 7kph when bike is HOT. - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Noise at 7kph when bike is HOT.

Good day evryone,

I have a 2002 honda rubison 500. The oil was change last fall and the bike din't run mutch sience. The bike is kind a new ot has 2500km on it and it's a 2002.

My problem, when the bike is warm, it take a good 30min. There is a loud noise coming from the bike when driving at constenr speed of arond 7kmh. The sound hapen in all mode L,H,ESP,D1,D2.

I talked to some people and most of them where telling me the problem was the control motor. Over the weekend I intalled a brand new control motor. It was 400$ with tax and it did not fix the problem.....

I'm reading the bike manuel and so far i can't find a solution. Could it be electrical? It really sound like a mecanical problem and when the oil get hot the problem shows. I'm thinking about bringing the bike to a honda dealer but i'm under the feeling this will cost me a lot.....

Other option could be to put seafoam in the oil, warm it up, drain and change the oil with some good oil like royal purpel and put some additif like lucus to see if this could solve the problem.

Is it bad for the quand to run with this problem?

Thanks for advise.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

well this is going to be a hard one to answer without hearing the noise its making?
does it make the noise when parked, or ONLY when driving?

if ONLY when driving, I would start by inspecting wheel bearings, and then CV joints, as if its NOT making the noise when parked that sort of rules out the motor IMO< and fan as well!

I don't see how draining the oil will help you here, as again if its a motor issue, it will make sound all the while when parked and you rev things up, NOT just when atv is moving!

you need to pin point where the sound is actually coming from

get atv hot or till sound starts, then lift atv up off the ground(all 4 wheels off ground safely) and then you can run things and get off atv and listen better for location of the sound!

once you get that done, let us know and we can help you more.

can also try getting some video of things, for sound and share that way too,
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Is it a whirring noise?

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

It sound like gear ginding. Only when mouving at a steady speed 7k/h after bike is HOT. I need to have heard the fan kick couple of time before the noise start. Originaly the sound was only when going down a hill and the motor compresion would kick in or when howling log. It was verry hard to reproduce at the bigining. It's been over 2 years the bike make this sound. Now I can reproduce it all the time at 7kph when bike is hot. Reading other thread it look like these Hydro static transmition are prone to break. I'm thinking it's the Oil pump or the transmition.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Oil pumps were iffy on the early Rubicons. I would limit run time until you get more advice on it.

The Hondamatics burn up IF the oil pump isn't working. The Hondamatic is the expensive part. The oil pumps aren't too bad. @harig is the resident expert on the Hondamatics.

Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Oil pumps were iffy on the early Rubicons. I would limit run time until you get more advice on it.

The Hondamatics burn up IF the oil pump isn't working. The Hondamatic is the expensive part. The oil pumps aren't too bad. @harig is the resident expert on the Hondamatics.
I know a guy who work in a honda dealer. He does nkt thunk my problem his the transmition because the noise is only when the bike is warm. He told me to bring it to him he has more tool at work. I'm trying to isolate the problem on my own because i like to do this in general. However this problem is turning into a nightmare....

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

well waiting 2 yrs to find the problem isn't going to be good if it IS the trans! could have been something more simple/cheaper, and now be a larger more costly repair bill!
just so you know here!
always best to find problems when there new and smaller , than waiting!

trans problems can act up as temps of fluid builds and them changes how pressure works in it!

again, get atv up off the ground with tires up, and see if you can pin point sound better!, there are a LOT of places that can make sound when things are hot and moving, trans, CV joints, bearings, and so on,
better you pin point sound, better we can help you!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
well waiting 2 yrs to find the problem isn't going to be good if it IS the trans! could have been something more simple/cheaper, and now be a larger more costly repair bill!
just so you know here!
always best to find problems when there new and smaller , than waiting!

trans problems can act up as temps of fluid builds and them changes how pressure works in it!

again, get atv up off the ground with tires up, and see if you can pin point sound better!, there are a LOT of places that can make sound when things are hot and moving, trans, CV joints, bearings, and so on,
better you pin point sound, better we can help you!
The tow mecanic that i talked to in the past tought it was the control motor. It vabrate when the sound happen. It look like the sound is coming from there. However i haven't try reproducing the sound with the quand lifted from the ground. The quad is at my cottage I will try that next time i go up there. I know i waited 2 years... but i never use the bike. I belived it had 1900km when i got it 5 years ago. It's now at 2500km

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:00 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

well waiting 2 yrs low use or not, problems don;t fix them self LOL
and just tend to get bigger more costly as you wait!, I was just saying, NOT bashing on you!
with us being on a screen "X" far away, NOT hearing the sound, its very hard to GUESS at what your problem is, NOT knowing even where the sound is coming from!
Hondamatic trans are known to NOT be the best design and fail often, costing more to fix, than most are worth to fix!
its why they only made them a few yrs and did away with them! so a heads up if that IS what is wrong here!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Ehhhh, I've stayed away from the Hondamatics after seeing all the early model problems people where having, but after seeing @basfnb's 06 Rubicon get beat on for 10 years of hard use, I've kinda changed my mind on them.

The early Rubicons definitely had issues. Oil pumps or Hondamatics, depending on who you ask, but they would either go 10K miles without a hiccup or blow up with 500 miles of light riding on them.

05-14 Rubicons you hardly ever see transmission issues. In fact, I've never personally seen an 05-14 that had transmission issues. They DO have a lot of electrical crap on them and that could be a PITA to troubleshoot, but in the 10 years I've been around these things, they 05-up Rubicons have changed my mind. Basfnb's has been tough. Ridden hard, put up wet, and he's never had electrical or transmission problems. Just bearings and a top end cause he didn't maintain his air filter.

My father in law has an 06 with 14K on it. It's been abused, stolen and recovered, and is still ticking (it really does tick now, but still runs, drives, and doesn't smoke).

We have another guy we ride with who sank his 07 3-4 years ago. Flushed it out, still runs great to this day.

I got one a few months ago. It had electrical issues, so I put a used wiring harness on it and so far it's been a great machine. I really like the seamless power from the Hondamatic versus the clunky shifting in my wife's 420AT with the newer DCT style automatic transmission.

I guess automatics have always seemed like voodoo magic to me, and the Hondamatic is no different in that regard, but after @harig posting up on how they work, what could possibly go wrong, and just seeing some of them hold up to a lot of abuse over a long period of time, I've become a fan of the 05-14 Rubicons.

Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page