Help diagnosing a problem - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Wharf Rat
  • 1 Post By mrbb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Help diagnosing a problem

I have a 2006 Rubicon that shut down on me at top speed. After that the solenoid would only click and the pull rope won’t budge even if it’s decompressed. The oil was good and still looks good. Any ideas what this could be from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Honda Lover

Sounds like the engine may have seized. Piston seized to the cylinder wall would be my first guess, second would be rod bearing seized to the crank, if it's actually seized in any way..

Some troubleshooting is needed. What does the spark plug look like? Will the engine turn with the plug removed?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin Ranger View Post
Sounds like the engine may have seized. Piston seized to the cylinder wall would be my first guess, second would be rod bearing seized to the crank, if it's actually seized in any way..

Some troubleshooting is needed. What does the spark plug look like? Will the engine turn with the plug removed?
I’ll have to look and report back but it may be a while because the quad is in another town where I hunt. I suspected something in the top end. Anything specific I should look for? If it is the piston what kits are worth getting to replace it? Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

compression test for sure
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Pretty impossible to do if the engine is seized.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I believe it would be from the little bit that I’ve messed with it so far.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Honda Lover

I suppose another possibility is the camshaft seized to the head.

Need to get in there and see if the crank will move at all by hand, and if not, try to determine what's holding it. Seized crank, probably will see no movement. Piston or cam, should be able to rock the crank very, very slightly.

I'm not saying 100% it's seized, but the starter and pull rope both failing upon engine stall, is very suspicious.

Should also include engine driven pumps .. oil pump and water pump. If locked up, engine shouldn't roll over. Then if it's an automatic trans, more to consider, but the auto trans on these is out of my realm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
well since he didn't state it was seized??
thus my reply??
maybe after the plug is out it will turn over?
I have seen some bikes that a pull starter wouldn;t turn over , yet were NOT frozen up?
Wilbur likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Honda Rider

Quote:
well since he didn't state it was seized??

thus my reply??

maybe after the plug is out it will turn over?

I have seen some bikes that a pull starter wouldn;t turn over , yet were NOT frozen up?
He didn't but that's what I read out of it. He said he couldnt even pull the rope if the decompression was activated. Barring a pull starter problem, that engine is most likely pretty locked up. Pulling the plug would be similar to activating the decomp. lever as he tried with no luck. Don't forget when and how it died. Full throttle.

Without being there next to it, I have to think catastrophic engine failure. I hope I am wrong. I think there might be something to the post above that talks about trying to diagnose whether it's the top end or the bottom end by attempting to turn the crank by hand and seeing if it even rocks a little back and forth.

Last edited by Wharf Rat; 05-20-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page