Considering new Rubicon - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Considering new Rubicon

I've got an 06 Foreman ES that has served me well (and I'll keep it around). I use my ATV(s) for working around my property (including pulling a small trailer), trail rides and mud also. I'm considering a 18 or 19 Rubicon.

My motivations: First, I have recently moved to the country and when I have guests, I don't have anything with an auto for them to ride. (I recently caught one of them riding the Foreman and just hitting the up & down arrows without letting off the gas!). Another motivation is while I know my solid rear axle is durable, I'm getting really tired of getting hung up in the ruts that IRS people leave behind. And, I'm getting old and I'm ready for power steering

So, my questions are:
1) Is the DCT proving to be durable? Even in mud?
2) Is there any difference between a 2018 and 2019?
3) The painted body work on the Deluxe, while Honda touts it as more scratch resistant than the other models, seems to me the paint would scrape off?
4) And, I'm sure this is a common question, what size tires can I fit with little to no mods (as far as rubbing)? And, should I be concerned about stock axles?

2006 Foreman ES, 26" Mud Lites, ITP Type 5 wheels, Warn XT25 Winch.
2002 300EX, jetted, piped, etc

Last edited by jeepr; 04-30-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
DCT on the wife's Rancher has held up fine. I was skeptical after seeing the 14 (IIRC) electrical plugs on the motor, but so far it's been good to go.

I wouldn't go over light 27's on a stock bike.

Don't know about differences from 18-19, and paint is never going to adhere well to plastics in the long run.

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Execs on Rubicon rims, Perfex
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Mudbugs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Honda Rider

The only difference in the 18 & 19 deluxe Rubicon I know of is the color of wheels, springs & emblems the 19's have little round reflectors on the front & rear racks where the 18 doesn't but both yrs are grey metallic paint as far as performance there is no difference but on that note the dct is fine as Jeep said but if you try to ride aggressive like little hilly whoops or so the auto kind of goes crazy it doesn't really know whether to up shift or down shift right lol but I like it other than that I usually just put it in manual mode but I discovered if you slow down enough it will automatically down shift to the next lower gear but will not up shift which was kind of interesting

2013 Foreman FPM
AP Stick Guards
AP Full Body Skidplate
2500 Promark XT Winch
Coleman Back Rack Bag
27" Reptile Radials
14" SS 216 ITP Wheels
Moose Front Rack Bag Cooler

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks. I wasn't asking about the difference between 18 and 19 Deluxe specfiically, but Rubicon across the board, but doesn't sound like any real difference. I've found some left over 18's for about $500 less, seems like no real reason not to grab one of those if everything else is right. I think I'll avoid the Deluxe, because I don't really want to scrape the fancy flat paint off, and not sure I need the aluminum wheels as I'll probably get aftermarket ones with bigger tires anyway.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 PM
Honda Rider

I have a 2017 Rubicon Deluxe I bought new in Jan, 2018. I use it to plow snow and to take me to one of several tree stands during bow, gun, and muzzleloader hunting seasons. I have had no issues with the automotive paint despite going through the thickest of snot. The DCT has been great.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 AM
Honda Rider

I have a ‘16 Rubi with power steering and I love it...can’t speak for the DCT as I have always liked footshift. I put 27” Maxxis Zillas on my bike...they fit great and turn surprisingly easy...(no speed lost on top end)
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:31 AM
Honda Rider

I have a 2018 rubicon dct no complaints. Also have a 2015 manual shift really enjoy both of them!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Honda Rider

I have a 2017 footshift Rubi with 27 zillas on it. Ive had my fair share of problems with the machine, and openely voiced my opinion of the build quality of these machines on this forum. Bottom line people buy Honda for one reason only, the name and reliability. The Rubicon is the poorest performing 500 off them all. In fact it performs so poorly in all aspects, its often grouped with the competitions 400 class ATVs. Theres a youtube comparison against the polaris 570 thats worth watching. Lots of people claim Can ams and Polaris are always breaking axles, diffs and clutchs, its easy to say Hondas never break, when they dont make enough power to break anything in the first place. The sad reality is these new hondas are breaking alot now, just have a look through the forum here.The tolerances and casting flaws in the engines are a joke, and honda only recently got their dcts to shift properly.

In summary, these new Hondas are overpriced, underpowered and poorly built. You can get much more bang for your buck from pretty much anyone else in the competition.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANichols View Post
I have a ‘16 Rubi with power steering and I love it...can’t speak for the DCT as I have always liked footshift. I put 27” Maxxis Zillas on my bike...they fit great and turn surprisingly easy...(no speed lost on top end)
So, 27's fit with no rubbing?

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYDZL View Post
In summary, these new Hondas are overpriced, underpowered and poorly built. You can get much more bang for your buck from pretty much anyone else in the competition.
Sorry to hear. My 06 has been a tank. It's had some recurring issues recently with front hubs and rear axle seal, but it's getting old and has a lot of hours & miles. I love the simplicity of the air/oil cooled machines, so not crazy about the change to water cooled. I mostly considering Honda because while you say they are overpriced, they are MUCH cheaper than the competition. I mean, the new ones are only a few hundred more than what I paid for my 06! I know my 06 is not fast by any means, and the radiator and cooling probably added some pounds.

I bought my 06 mostly because I did not want a CVT and there aren't many (any?) options to avoid that, all the competition has that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page