2017 Rubicon - Page 7 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Honda Rider
 
ATVtogether's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22


Ok, I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical when making my purchase of the 2017 ECM. I am so glad I did, and I owe it to all of you guys that shared this information on these forums. You see I was never really happy the the shift mapping on my 2016, I mean it worked but it felt clunky at times. I didn't really use it that much, but when I let my daughter drive she would always use the auto DCT mode for simplicity. Besides the rough shifting that would happen from time to time, the biggest complaint I had was when she was climbing a hill and the downshift was not smooth and would abruptly engage the lower gear causing the quad to lunge forward. This can be dangerous on an incline, she had to adjust to learn how to best deal with this...

Fast forward to earlier today when I installed my 2017 ECM. WOW. Immediately, I noticed, or should I say DIDNT notice, the shifting. It is truly night and day difference. I tried it a bit on my property and then we quickly decided we needed to take it out to the trails for a real test. We only rode for an hour or so. But it was really like driving a different ATV, at some times you really couldnt even detect the shifts at all. We even tested out several scenarios where it would downshift on an uphill and it was silky smooth. I would have loved to get a dealer to flash my ECM but after reading all of the posts with clueless dealers, I didn't even waste my time. Plus, I have a spare ECM in case I ever need it in a pinch, or for diagnosis. I did notice what appears to be a better startup, I noticed that mine use to take more revolutions than normal, but now 2-3 revs and she is running. The last point was more from my daughter, but she swears the bike felt like it had a little bit more pep in it's step.

Needless to say, if you are an owner of a DCT Rubicon that you were never quite happy with the shifting, do yourself a favor and buy this ECM now!!!

Happy Trails Everyone! And thanks to all of you who shared this information, what a great community!!
crusader and loosemarbles like this.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ATVtogether
2016 Honda Foreman Rubicon (FA6)
DCT / IRS / EPS *2017 ECM
ITP Delta Steel Wheels (12x7)
ITP Blackwater Evolutions (26x9 Front, 26x11 Rear)
Gorilla Whips LED 4ft
Quadboss rear bag
Front bag, with (2) 1 Gal Rotopax
Ricochet A-Arm skids Front and Rear
ATVtogether is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 AM
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 69
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVtogether View Post


Ok, I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical when making my purchase of the 2017 ECM. I am so glad I did, and I owe it to all of you guys that shared this information on these forums. You see I was never really happy the the shift mapping on my 2016, I mean it worked but it felt clunky at times. I didn't really use it that much, but when I let my daughter drive she would always use the auto DCT mode for simplicity. Besides the rough shifting that would happen from time to time, the biggest complaint I had was when she was climbing a hill and the downshift was not smooth and would abruptly engage the lower gear causing the quad to lunge forward. This can be dangerous on an incline, she had to adjust to learn how to best deal with this...

Fast forward to earlier today when I installed my 2017 ECM. WOW. Immediately, I noticed, or should I say DIDNT notice, the shifting. It is truly night and day difference. I tried it a bit on my property and then we quickly decided we needed to take it out to the trails for a real test. We only rode for an hour or so. But it was really like driving a different ATV, at some times you really couldnt even detect the shifts at all. We even tested out several scenarios where it would downshift on an uphill and it was silky smooth. I would have loved to get a dealer to flash my ECM but after reading all of the posts with clueless dealers, I didn't even waste my time. Plus, I have a spare ECM in case I ever need it in a pinch, or for diagnosis. I did notice what appears to be a better startup, I noticed that mine use to take more revolutions than normal, but now 2-3 revs and she is running. The last point was more from my daughter, but she swears the bike felt like it had a little bit more pep in it's step.

Needless to say, if you are an owner of a DCT Rubicon that you were never quite happy with the shifting, do yourself a favor and buy this ECM now!!!

Happy Trails Everyone! And thanks to all of you who shared this information, what a great community!!
good for you. I doubt my local dealer would flash the ecm, even if he could, probably try and bend me over. Might pick one up soon.
crusader is offline  
post #63 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Honda Rider
 
ATVtogether's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader View Post
good for you. I doubt my local dealer would flash the ecm, even if he could, probably try and bend me over. Might pick one up soon.
I had the same concern as you, knowing the dealers around here they would charge$100-150 minimum to flash my ECM if they would even do it at all. Plus I don't really trust them to do it, nor do I have the time to spend dealing with them.

Honda Parts Nation hooked me up for (US)$175, brand new ECM to my door in just a few days. I just got done riding again, this time it was without my daughter and I was able to put it through its paces. I was doing everything I could to deliberately confuse the ECM, like traveling at high speed then braking quickly and turning into a steep incline. No matter what I did the DCT would immediately go to the gear I needed, many times it was hard to detect the shift at all. Now this is not how we normally ride but it is good to know the DCT will handle more sporty driving now with ease. ****, I may even start using it some over ESP lol.

Happy Trails and Good Luck to you!!

https://www.youtube.com/c/ATVtogether
2016 Honda Foreman Rubicon (FA6)
DCT / IRS / EPS *2017 ECM
ITP Delta Steel Wheels (12x7)
ITP Blackwater Evolutions (26x9 Front, 26x11 Rear)
Gorilla Whips LED 4ft
Quadboss rear bag
Front bag, with (2) 1 Gal Rotopax
Ricochet A-Arm skids Front and Rear
ATVtogether is offline  
 
post #64 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks to everyone for posting this info! I'm about to order a 2017 G61, but it seems all I can get is a G62. Is it the same part? Has anyone used the 62 and got good results? Any info would be great!!

Thanks!
Ogascadan is offline  
post #65 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southwestern Ontario Canada
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogascadan View Post
Thanks to everyone for posting this info! I'm about to order a 2017 G61, but it seems all I can get is a G62. Is it the same part? Has anyone used the 62 and got good results? Any info would be great!!

Thanks!
I would assume that being it's the only one available, it would be the one now used in the new DCT auto models. The G61 may have been an interim part #. Absolutely still loving the way mine shifts, runs etc.
Cheers

2016 Rubicon FA6 DCT ESP
27" A.C.T. HD radials. 3000lb winch, grip and thumb heaters...Canada eh:grin
EasyDuzit is offline  
post #66 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Honda Rider
 
loosemarbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 80
Well heck I got tired of the hard shifting on my 2015 Rubicon. So I bit the bullet and bought the PGM-FI UNIT 38770-HR6-G62. This is for my TRX500FA6. Should be in Tues wk after next. Will let you all know how it goes.
Going to have to stay off this forum every time y'all make me spend money lol. Forgot to ask during installation do I need to disconnect the battery/

2015 Rubicon

Last edited by loosemarbles; 08-13-2017 at 11:42 PM.
loosemarbles is offline  
post #67 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Honda Rider
 
loosemarbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 80
Well I installed mine about an hr after it came in. Took about 10mins or so. The hardest part was taking off the plastic and putting it back on. I let it warm up for about 5 mins then headed out. First to second gear was very smooth no hard shifts. All shifts were smooth as butter downshifts were the same. Feels like I'm driving a different atv. Now I can drive with one hand while holding a beer or my rifle. Start ups are quicker 2-3 turns and she pops off. I don't think the hard shifts we're good on the transmission or rear end.
crusader likes this.

2015 Rubicon
loosemarbles is offline  
post #68 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Honda Rider
 
DaBomb6988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 60
I'm hoping after the christmas season to do this upgrade. Any difference between the 2017 and 2018 pcm's? Wasn't sure if Honda further updated any mapping in 2018. From what I've read there isn't any difference from 2017-2018. I did notice the part number for a 2016 gives you the option for a 2017 pcm part#38770-HR6-G62. But the number for a 2018 is 38770-HR6-A01.

2016 Rubicon DCT TRX500FA6
Warn 2500lb Provantage
Aluminum Products Skid Plates

1999 TRX300FW
High Lifter Disc Brake Kit

Last edited by DaBomb6988; 12-03-2017 at 05:20 PM.
DaBomb6988 is offline  
post #69 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 01:12 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider
 
rich450es's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dugway UT
Posts: 17,872
from what I gather they updated the 2018s from the 17s .......but you need to let the dam thing break in to atleast 1000 miles first

2000 foreman 450 es-s
the f**king pig
SOLD




sold all my crappy Hondas .....lol
sold !2007 Suzuki kingquad 700 for fun
2018 Yamaha grizzly 700 se





friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline  
post #70 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 7
I know this thread is a few month's old, but I just called my dealer to check the price of tire studs (ice) for my 2015 Rubicon Deluxe so I asked to speak with the service manager about the rough shifting no longer being an issue with the 2017 Rubicon. I mentioned about some of you guys buying new 2017 ECM's to resolve the issue and also mentioned todeep's post about the ECM software update.

The service manager just came right out and said not to buy a new ECM as the dealership can do the ECM flash with the 2017 software. They charge the minimum bay fee of $26 CDN so I just booked an appointment for next week. Hopefully this does the trick and saves me the extra $300-$400 from having to buy the 2017 ECM.

The hondaforeman.com forums rock and I hope the comments posted here lead to a smoother, more enjoyable riding experience. I'll update after the flash has been completed.

Jeff

Last edited by 03eunos; 01-31-2018 at 12:42 PM.
03eunos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Rubicon Deluxe DPG9576 Foreman 500 12 08-27-2018 12:47 PM
Honda Rubicon Winch Install - 2015 2016 2017 - Strong Made Mount Plate - Superwinch mr.coon Rubicon 500 11 08-25-2017 01:24 PM
Selling my 2017 Honda Foreman Fourtrax Rubicon DCT EPS DELUXE Brian860 New Member Intros 111 02-13-2017 03:48 PM
New 2017 Honda Fourtrax Foreman Rubicon Deluxe Edition Owner. Brian860 New Member Intros 3 02-04-2017 08:27 PM
2017 Rubicon Handling 503MD Rubicon 500 4 01-28-2017 05:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome