Idle speed problem - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffinTD

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Idle speed problem

Seems like my problems never have any previous posts I can find that have the same problem.
My 08 420 fe es has gotten to where the idle speed is slow to come down to the normal speed. When I am coming to a stop, It continues to run a little fast for 10 or 15 seconds, then slowly idles down. It is fast enough that it will continue to creep forward if I don't hold the brake, and it jumps too hard if put in gear while it's idling that fast. Aggravating!
I pulled the IACV and it appears to run when the key is turned on and off. It's not dirty. I am not sure just how the idle speed is controlled, and what other sensors(O2?), and components are involved. It's possible that it started doing this when we got our first cool(not cold) front a couple weeks ago. Up til now it has started and idled perfectly in all weather. Any ideas much appreciated. Gary

EDIT: I noticed that shifting in and out of 1st gear to neutral and back sometimes causes the idle to return to normal. Also, once the engine has been running a while and is "completely" up to temp, the idle is normal.???

Last edited by gwtx; 10-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Honda Lover

Possibly an air leak, between the throttle body and engine, or a vacuum leak if there are any vac lines.

I'm assuming there must be a temp sensor, a faulty one can cause problems like this if it's reading cold all the time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks for the reply. The FI system has to have the temp to determine mass flow, I just don't recall seeing it anywhere, maybe in the air box
I cleaned the throttle lever& mechanism on the handle bar. The pull is easy and smooth but I think I noticed it to be a wee bit tight just before it returns all to idle. The end on the throttle body is not all that easy to get to, but I may look into that next. Could also be gunk in the throttle body itself. I don't have a lot of time to mess with it, but I will when I can. "mess with it", that's Texas for "work on it"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Honda Rider

The first efi Rincons would sometimes hang at very high idle, especially at cold temperatures.

IAC would get a thin coating and there was discussion as to if it was cosmoline or from excess air filter oil.

Anyway, spraying it off with carb cleaner generally solves it.

IAC will likely cycle through its range of motion upon key on. Might be able to see if it is sluggish.
gwtx likes this.

06 Rincon 680. Foreman headlight conversion, Guru bumper, Warn XT30, Maier guards, Bighorns
05 Foreman 500 FM, 2.5 Warn, Bighorns
Dually Ram and Patio Hauler 5th wheel
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks JEFFin, the idle is just a little bit above what it used to be, but enough to be aggravating. I may pull the IAC valve and give it a better cleaning than I did before.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

As the weather is now much colder than before, the idle is even higher. Before the cold front came in, it had gotten to where it would idle down in about 30 seconds, but not now. Also, sometimes bumping the downshift button seems to make it idle down a little, but back to the speed it was before this problem started. Anyone know if there is anything in the throttle cable connection on the throttle body that could be getting sticky? Any suggestions appreciated. Gary
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Honda Lover

Worse in cold temps? Temp sender?

There should be a test procedure in the manual, which can be downloaded. Just take some ohm readings at known temperatures.

A cable could bind up more in colder temps. Might be able to see at the throttle body if it's not returning all the way, or disconnect the cable. Not sure how that setup looks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks 'moc', yeah, I think something in the connection on the throttle body may be gummed up. Just haven't had a chance to get into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page