2007 Rancher 400 AT only runs on Full Choke - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2007 Rancher 400 AT only runs on Full Choke

Good evening all. I have a 2007 Honda Rancher 400 AT that has sat for about the last 6 to 7 years and not ran. I neglected to drain the gas out of the fuel tank but did turn the gas off and ran it out of the carb the last time I rode it 6 or 7 years ago, I left about 1/4 of a tank of gas in the tank. A couple of weekends ago I went to ride it again and topped off the fuel tank. I was able to ride it for about 5 minutes or so before it died and then would only start back on and run on full choke. I figured it was due to the old gas in the tank so I cleaned the carb several times, ran approximately 6 cans of carb cleaner through it along with draining the gas tank and thoroughly cleaning it out as well. I also replaced the petcock valve and the fuel line. After each cleaning I have reinstalled the carb only to experience the exact same issues, only able to run on full choke.

Today I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner and some Simple Green Pro HD cleaner. I took the carb completely apart and ran the body, jets and bowl through the cleaner until no more gunk was present in the cleaner. I then allowed it to air dry and blew out all the parts with my air compressor. I then reinstalled the carb only to experience the same issues, only running on full choke.

I feel like I have cleaned this carb about as much as possible. I have a brand new unopened OEM carb that I can put on it right now. My only fear is that it could be something other than a gunked up carb, then I will be out the money for the carb and to fix whatever is wrong with it. So with all that said my question to the members of this forum is could there be anything other than a dirty carb causing this issue of only being able to run on full choke. Additionally, it will start and run with the choke in as long as I hold the throttle open.

Sorry for the long first post. I thank you all in advance for any advice/wisdom you can send my way.

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:22 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

welcome to the site
MY first question will be, you drained tank of old fuel and all new line to carb, and Then A CLEANED CARB, and still have running issue
if so, the above should have cleaned up fuel system
ethanol can be tuff to remove on parts soaking and carb cleaner tends to never get them clean, many use a carb rebuild kit to replace many parts to help ensure carb is good after cleaning, and ultra sonic cleaners normally do an excellent job, when given enough time to do so!

SO< next question is, is the air filter clean< are the rubber boots and things all GOOD and solid, not getting any air in thru them?
and next will be have you replaced the spark plug? time and sitting can make a plug get fouled up, and not get great spark, and make for funny running conditions!
so, let us know and we can maybe give you more idea's
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Sorry, I forgot to include that I had also cleaned the air box, replaced all the rubber boots, installed a new K&N filter, and installed a new spark plug. This afternoon I removed the new plug and it was pretty black, I figure this was from running it on full choke what little bit I did this afternoon. I did clean it off before reinstalling it in the engine.

So given how long it has sat with the old gas and the issues that ethanol introduces would I be better off just installing the new carb and moving on with life? Also the new gas I am using contains no ethanol and I have added Seafoam and Stabil to it as well.

I appreciate any and all advice that I can get as I would like to get and keep this wheeler running.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:31 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

O will say this, if you add TOO much of seafoam, or stabil to fuel, it will ruin it, and cause all sorts of running issue's
SO
maybe you might want to try draining tank again, and just USING good non ethanol fuel, NO additives
and if that doesn't do it, then, maybe the new carb , and see if that solves issue

as if it doesn't that tends to mean the ECU/CDI is the next step
have yo checked and made sure all connections to them ate clean and solid, NO wires been chewed on?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I added very little of the Seafoam and Stabil, the bare minimum recommended on the bottles of each. I have not looked at the ECU/CDI, however I will give that a look tomorrow. I would not think anything would have chewed on the wires where I had it stored but I guess you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page