Screeching metal noise in forward motion - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Screeching metal noise in forward motion

A friend bought a Rancher 350 a couple weeks ago and I have it at my house. While checking the brakes Saturday once I got up around 8-10mph it started making a noise like screeching metal, thing rides fine and doesn’t seems as if the gears are stripped and the engine sounds great. Could it be diff. Or trans? Doesn’t make the sound going under 8mph. Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Honda Lover

Welcome to the forums........

A little more info please.
Year model.
Miles/hours.
Where do you think the noise is coming from, engine, rear end, front?
Did it make this noise before you checked the brakes?

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2003 Rancher ES 414.9hrs 2135 miles sound is coming from towards the back under neath and I didn’t make the noise until I had been riding it for about 30-45minutes. Personally I’m thinking it’s got something to do with the rear end diff. as when I removed the cap I couldn’t feel any grease. I have a 2016 Rancher but I’ve taken extremely good care of it and don’t have any issues but he bought this one used and we know nothing about the maintenance of the Quad.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Honda Lover

There should be gear oil in the rear differential, it's not filled to the top so sometimes you can't feel it. I use a straw to dip it in there checking for water after a go through some deep mud to keep from draining it. Try removing the drain plug on the side and see if any oil comes out and take a whiff to see what it smells like.

Anytime I buy something used, I go through it before I ride it too far, check oils for contaminants, level, rear brake sticking, motor oil, stuff like that.
There's a link to the service manuals in my signature below, it's a free download and could come in handy.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

IMO< I would suggest Draining the rear diff, and look at the color and amount of oil that is in there,
to re fill, fill till oil comes out the top of the fill hole!
drain into a clear container and look for water or metal in it, can place a magnet on the bottom to pool any metal to one area too!

could be a bearing on diff that is grinding and is DRY and as heat builds, it starts to seize up and makes your grinding noise!

I would also suggest that you ride atv till you hear noise gain, then jack atv up , all 4 tires off the ground and try and pin point the sound better then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page