stored fuel eats up tank filter? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

stored fuel eats up tank filter?

Stored Rancher 420 for 5 years with fuel in tank, (my bad) no start going through fuel system, new parts etc. found filter in fuel tank half gone. Not sure of last fuel but was most likely E10. Photo of filter attached, anyone else seen this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190511_121712.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	41663  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
that corn does it every time....pure gas is all i use now.
Moccasin Ranger likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
You'll be lucky if it doesn't seize up your fuel pump as well.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

have to remember that water can get into fuel and your tank in many ways, and the water in it will rust things out like that too!
I am NOT a fan of ethanol fuel., period, but there is more ways to have things go bad than just ethanol fuel in tank!
condensation can happen with pure fuel too over that long a time period if exposed to temp swings!
or just bad fuel at station, many stations have been known here to sell BAD fuel
leaking holding tanks, all this rain any more, flooding and so on??
never know LOL
when storing for long amounts of time, you really need to do prep work to ensure things last as best they can!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Honda Lover

mrbb pretty much took the words right out of my keyboard. Condensation, temperature swings, .... sweat! My street bike has the most finicky carbs ever built, seafoam is my friend. Corny gas eats materials and I've read that it is hydroscopic, absorbs moisture. And then there's the goop it leaves behind, which sets up like concrete.

Condensation - Sometimes I can walk into the garage and everything looks like it was misted with a spray bottle, same conditions exist inside fuel tanks/cans.

There's a process to remove ethanol from gas, it involves adding water and letting it settle, same thing happens with condensation in your tanks and cans. Now imagine 100% ethanol soaking on your carb parts, fuel tank, etc.

I've been attacked by the corn lobby for my comments about ethanol. So a pic is worth 1000 words. This is some year-old weedeater gas. Look at the bottom.

Last edited by Moccasin Ranger; 06-18-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Honda Lover

Been using Seafoam in my gas as needed, or twice a year, and for storage. Don't know if it stops the damage, but it does keep the carb jets open.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Working on it.

Most damage done by the Olefines in fuel that left "molasses" in tank and pump enclosure, completely clogging the old design filter on bottom. Ordered all new pump for $88 even though it still "buzzed". New pump has filter on the side. But, it seems dumb they did not put a drain on the bottom of the pump enclosure to drain out any water, etc. Going to drill and tap a drain valve into the enclosure bottom. Have to modify the pump's bottom support for the drain. Still cannot figure what Honda used for the tank pickup filter that got ate up??? I've always seen stainless steel mesh used in that role. Still have to borescope the tank to see how much molasses are in there. Being it's black, hard to see. I find denatured alcohol will solvent it quickly. Might need a steel shot and alcohol tumble to remove any left in there.
Going to try Chevrons's new fuel treatment for small engines, claim is 2 yr storage. Got last bottle at Auto Zone, seems to be selling fast. With a drain in bottom of the pump enclosure, the lowest point in system, I will be able to check for and drain out any water etc. Will only store with tank full from now on. And, will now be using it more often..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7383857709925470848.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	41679  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Honda Rider

Yeah ethanol contamination will do that. I’d replace that part and possibly the fuel pump.

If you can get non eth gas, I run that exclusively. If it’s hard to find, I’d at least try to fill it with non-eth prior to storage. Having the tank full gives less surface for condensation, and less of the gas is exposed to air, which delays the gas from going bad.

If I’m not using a machine for an extended period, I’ll siphon the gas into a jug to use in a car and replace the gas in the machine at least annually.

Having clean oil is also a good idea for storage.

06 Rincon 680. Foreman headlight conversion, Guru bumper, Warn XT30, Maier guards, Bighorns
05 Foreman 500 FM, 2.5 Warn, Bighorns
Dually Ram and Patio Hauler 5th wheel
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Anyone know why my replys never get posted, they just disapear after a message saying the administrator will have to approve??????
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 180pilot View Post
Anyone know why my replys never get posted, they just disapear after a message saying the administrator will have to approve??????
Your email or user name put you into a moderation. In 5 post or so you'll be good to go. I'll try to get them all approved as soon as possible for you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2007 420FM (475cc, 27x12x12 Mudbugs) ---------- 1995 300FW (webcamshaft, 350 rear end)
2008 420FE (26x9x12 BearClaws) -------------------
1988 300 (old stock machine, nothing fancy)
2009 420FA (25x8/10x12 BearClaw HTR) ---------
1987 350D (work in progress)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page