TRX350 Rancher carb issue - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

TRX350 Rancher carb issue

Hi all,
Picked up a 2003 Rancher ES with a 'leaking out the carb bowl drain line' issue. So I got the carb out, cleaned it, tossed in a rebuild kit, buttoned it all back up and it runs like a champ. But it's still draining fuel out the overflow tube not 10 minutes after I got it all back together. Doh!

I replaced the needle valve, checked/cleaned the passage way and it appeared to be clear. That only leaves the float itself and as it's non-adjustable - would that likely be the culprit? Best I can tell it's the original float/internals based on the 'pop' of the screws when I disassembled sounding like they've never been off in it's life.

I'm thinking the float has a pinhole in it thus fills up and sinks thereby opening up the needle valve.

Is that where you would go next? Replace the float? Get a cheap Amazon replacement carb?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Honda Lover

Quote:
I'm thinking the float has a pinhole in it thus fills up and sinks thereby opening up the needle valve.

That's where I was headed, especially with the 10 minute time span. I got in the habit of shaking floats to see if there's gas inside, or submerge, rotate, and look for bubbles. Plastic floats may be easier to patch, versus soldering a brass one. Ebay could have a float also.

Could be dirt moving in the fuel, cleaned mine three times in row, even with two fuel filters. One filter was full of rust and broken inside. You'll know when you open the carb again.

Check the overflow tube inside the carb, they're known to crack. A small crack may not open up until it warms up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks for the input.

To add insult to injury, the petcock doesn't fully close either. Argh.... Had to roll it out of the garage last night just to keep the stink factor down.

Where's the fuel filter? In the tank?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Most likely the seat in the carb needs to be polished.

What I did on my 350 projects is add a cheap inline shutoff valve to the line between the tank and carb. Replacement petcocks are pricey.

To the carb, for some reason the 350 Rancher carbs are horrible about leaking. If your float is good, take a qtip and put some polishing compound on it, or even toothpaste, chuck it in a drill, and on low speed polish the seat in the carb. I also usually scuff the rubber tip on a needle valve with some emery cloth or steel wool.

If that doesn't work, get a tiny polishing stone from a dremel kit, with a conical end. Grind the stone down on the sides where it will fit up in the seat, and USING YOUR HAND, turn it back and forth a few times to really polish the seat well, where there's a perfectly smooth, clean surface for that needle to seat.

If that doesn't work, buy a new carb. Don't get aftermarket Chinese crap. Get an OEM carb, preferably new, because if you get used it will probably have the same issues as the one you have.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Honda Rider

I'll second the q-tip in a drill to polish the brass seat the needle goes in. I've had to to it to several carbs to fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page