New-to-Me Rancher ES 4x4 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

New-to-Me Rancher ES 4x4

Hello all,
Total new guy here with my first ATV....

I've come into possession of a Rancher ES 4x4. I've poked all over this thing in the garage (albeit somewhat dark) and can't find any identification as to what specific year/model I have. Can one of you point me to where this information might be located so I can start with some informed questions?

I know off the top of my head it's ??about?? a 2003 4x4 with an ESP electronic shift. I have a small fuel leak from what I presume to be a carb overflow tube (stuck float?) as well as a somewhat difficult time shifting from 1st to Reverse or vice-versa without shutting it off first. Needs a thorough cleaning and figure out a small oil oil leak location. Other than these items, it's filthy dirty as it was a ranch vehicle it's entire life.

Certainly looking forward to this next adventure, and with your help hope to get it going.

Thx-
~m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to need to see a pic of the M38A1......

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to need to see a pic of the M38A1......
lol... It's a 1953 model my Dad and I restored 20+ years ago... This pic was taken a couple weeks ago.

On the ATV question, is there an ID plate or tag somewhere which has a VIN or specific model information? Motorcycles have 'em on the front frame assembly, and I can't find anything on this one. But it might just be covered in dirt/mud.....
mrbb likes this.

Last edited by M38A1; 11-08-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add pic

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Garage
Where the front bumper bolts to the frame there is a plate with the vin number on it.

I would start with cleaning the carb and adjusting the clutch. If the idle is set high it can give shifting problems as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2013 MUV 700----2011TRX500FPM----2009TRX420FPA----2009TRX420FA----2007 TRX420FM----2006 TRX400FA----1995TRX300FW----1988TRX350D----1988TRX300---1974 CB750 Amen Savior Chopper----!974 ST90
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
Where the front bumper bolts to the frame there is a plate with the vin number on it.

I would start with cleaning the carb and adjusting the clutch. If the idle is set high it can give shifting problems as well.

Thank you! I'll check for that VIN plate this evening. Probably can't get to the carb until the weekend however. This is an electronic shift model. Are the internals for this much like a standard clutch/plate assembly, or is this a totally different beast?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Garage
Same as manual shift atvs but has a few sensors and a motor so you can shift with buttons. To rule out mechanical problems there is a shaft sticking out the left side of the motor you can put a toll on and shift it manually.

2013 MUV 700----2011TRX500FPM----2009TRX420FPA----2009TRX420FA----2007 TRX420FM----2006 TRX400FA----1995TRX300FW----1988TRX350D----1988TRX300---1974 CB750 Amen Savior Chopper----!974 ST90
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
lol... It's a 1953 model my Dad and I restored 20+ years ago... This pic was taken a couple weeks ago.

On the ATV question, is there an ID plate or tag somewhere which has a VIN or specific model information? Motorcycles have 'em on the front frame assembly, and I can't find anything on this one. But it might just be covered in dirt/mud.....
Very nice! Love it. You just need an M100 to pull behind it and an M2 on a pedestal

Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Well, it's been awhile....

It's a 2003 TRX350FE according to the sticker on the front sub-frame.

I gave it a good scrub and it looks ok.

My list looks like this so far:
1. Battery status. When I got it, I was told the battery was almost new. The battery certainly had juice to start it everytime I tried for the first couple months. Sitting all this time now however, it's not so new so it's on the charger and we'll see if that can be resurrected. Battery Tender Jr on order as a good measure for either this battery or a replacement.

2. The carb needs to be rebuilt or at minimum cleaned. If I leave the petcock "ON", I get a fuel drip, so I'm guessing the float is probably stuck open. A good cleaning hopefully will take care of this. If not, is there a preferred replacement "plug&play" carb people use to swap out the stocker? Turning the petcock "OFF" stops the drip.

3. Airbox has either oil or fuel in the bottom of it. Haven't stuck my finger in there yet. Are these an oil bath airbox or is that fluid (either one) not supposed to be there? And if not, what's a good cause of why it's there?

4. Shifting was what I'd call somewhat problematic when I first got it. I'm thinking I just want to get it running dependably first then address this aspect.

5. Tires are shot so I'll need a full set. At the moment it's got Bridgestone Dirt Hooks. I've tried to find those again but am not having much luck. Any suggestions on a tire that's about the same profile as these? This will be used primarily on a 26 acre mostly grassy field for landscape maintenance. Nothing super aggressive is required.

6. The choke cable is not affixed well on the little holding bracket on the left barset. Need to figure out how that's affixed and address it.

7. Rear stop/tail light lens is broken so that'll need replacement.

Any thoughts on my project questions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by M38A1; 10-27-2018 at 09:15 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
Well, it's been awhile....

It's a 2003 TRX350FE according to the sticker on the front sub-frame.

I gave it a good scrub and it looks ok.

My list looks like this so far:
1. Battery status. When I got it, I was told the battery was almost new. The battery certainly had juice to start it everytime I tried for the first couple months. Sitting all this time now however, it's not so new so it's on the charger and we'll see if that can be resurrected. Battery Tender Jr on order as a good measure for either this battery or a replacement.

2. The carb needs to be rebuilt or at minimum cleaned. If I leave the petcock "ON", I get a fuel drip, so I'm guessing the float is probably stuck open. A good cleaning hopefully will take care of this. If not, is there a preferred replacement "plug&play" carb people use to swap out the stocker? Turning the petcock "OFF" stops the drip.

3. Airbox has either oil or fuel in the bottom of it. Haven't stuck my finger in there yet. Are these an oil bath airbox or is that fluid (either one) not supposed to be there? And if not, what's a good cause of why it's there?

4. Shifting was what I'd call somewhat problematic when I first got it. I'm thinking I just want to get it running dependably first then address this aspect.

5. Tires are shot so I'll need a full set. At the moment it's got Bridgestone Dirt Hooks. I've tried to find those again but am not having much luck. Any suggestions on a tire that's about the same profile as these? This will be used primarily on a 26 acre mostly grassy field for landscape maintenance. Nothing super aggressive is required.

6. The choke cable is not affixed well on the little holding bracket on the left barset. Need to figure out how that's affixed and address it.

7. Rear stop/tail light lens is broken so that'll need replacement.

Any thoughts on my project questions would be much appreciated.

The 350's were horrible about carb floats not sealing. Aftermarket carbs are a crapshoot, and the overwhelming majority of them are crap. I would rebuild the one you have. I took a small dremel polishing stone and polished the seat in mine and it stopped leaking.

Airbox probably has fuel in it. Make sure the carb didn't overflow a bunch of gas into your crankcase.

Shifting on an ES can be iffy battery, clutch adjustment, or you might need to remove the shift motor on the front of the engine and clean the old grease out of the gears under it, and then replace it. The grease gets old and gummy and can cause shifting issues. If you're not sure the battery is good, replace it. The ES bikes need a good battery to shift.

Choke cable is probably broken. They break where they attach to the handlebar bracket. New ones are under $10 so just replace it.

I rebuilt a 350 for my kid. There are some bolt on upgrades using factory parts from other bikes that are worth doing if you're going to be riding it much. Disc brakes from a 420 Rancher and selectable 4wd using a front diff from a 400AT Rancher.

I would look for a set of stock Foreman takeoffs on your local craigslist or Facebook marketplace. People sell new factory wheels and tires for $100-200 all the time when they buy a new bike, because they want fancy wheels and mud tires, and if you get Foreman wheels they will be 12" wheels and finding tires in the future will be much easier

Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Honda Rider

I have 2007 rancher AT 400 4x4 . The gear position display goes from showing 2nd. Gear to - - and blinks 5 times. It is intermittent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page